XF 1.4 Importing from VB

ESAD

I have imported the vb forum itself. Should I "Complete" that import, and then go back into the importer to import social groups, and other vb related stuff.

OR, should I go back to the importer and grab the other stuff before "completing" the basic forum import.

I tried this yesterday and got the forum all up, but when I went back into the importer it all went wrong. . . I don't want to screw this up again.

If you're dealing with third-party importers or steps added by third-parties, you'll need to contact the author for specific guidance.

Normally, when doing an import you'd run through every step (with data you wish to import) and then complete the import. If you need to start another import (such as for a specific set of third-party content), you can really only do that after completing the previous import.

I am using the built in importer. (I should not have said social groups)

Should I: (Option 1)

1. Import vb forum (threads, Posts etc, what you get from importing vb forum script)
  2. Complete import
  3. Back to importer
  4. Import vb albums.
  5. Complete import
  6. Back to importer
  7. Import vb photopost
  8. Complete Import
Or: (Option 2)

1. Import vb forum (Do not complete import)
  2. Back to importer for vb albums
  3. Back to importer for vb photopost
  4. Complete Import

It probably won't make a huge difference, but I would recommend completing rather than "aborting" the import to ensure that caches get rebuilt.

Ok, I successfully imported the albums, and had to supply the forum import archive name. "archived_import_log"

Now it is wanting me to archive the album import as well. Can I archive it to the same archive? "archived_import_log" or do I need to create a new archive for the album import?

I am asking because I need to know what to do with the 301redirect. Does this new archive combine the forum import and album pictures into one new archive? Or will I have to redirect to the threads and posts, and albums pics from vbulletin separately?

Last edited:
Now it is wanting me to archive the album import as well. Can I archive it to the same archive? "archived_import_log" or do I need to create a new archive for the album import?
You'd create a new one and point the second import at the original log (for user ID mapping).

I am asking because I need to know what to do with the 301redirect. Does this new archive combine the forum import and album pictures into one new archive? Or will I have to redirect to the threads and posts, and albums pics from vbulletin separately?
The redirect scripts don't handle albums; they're forum only. There isn't an official method of redirecting imported gallery content; if you maintained IDs, you can redirect via mod_rewrite though.

Ok, well this sucks.

I imported the vb albums, and then wanted to import the photopost pro images as well, and the importer for photopost pro said the gallery has existing data, and must be empty! Wonderful.
So am I only able to import one or the other, but not both?

And what tables, and directories do I need to empty specifically to remove the vb album imports so I can use the photopost gallery instead? (which has many more images in it.)

Are you trying to maintain IDs with your second gallery import? You can't do that; you can only maintain IDs once (for a "type" of import).

If you are going to want to redo an import, the only recommended approach is to restore to a pre-import backup or a fresh install.

Top Bottom