1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Importing from VB questions

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by trman, Dec 21, 2014.

1. trman

trman Active Member

I just purchased XenForo and have read the importing guide, but have a few questions (presently using VB 3.6xxx for many years):

1. My VB forum is in my root directory. If I upload all in the XenForo "upload" folder to my root directory it will all be mixed in with the old Vbulletin files. What I would like to do is have the XenForo files separate but how to do that and still have it in the root directory?

2. One thing I have thought of was install XenForo in a new directory, say "forum" and redirect all the posts from Vbulletin to this new location. Then after a few weeks when I am sure I don't need the old Vbulletin files, remove them and move Xenforo up to the root directory and put in another redirect. This seems a little complex. Ideas on this?

3. I would like to still have Vbulletin running while I do all the customizations for Xenforo and get it the way I want it before I shut down Vbulletin and do the final import of the database. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Any other helpful information would be appreciated. I have used VB for about 10 years so anything else is foreign to me. Since most of the XenForo users appear to have converted from VB I am sure someone has some suggestions. I was just going to shut down Vbulletin and install XenForo over it and put in all the customizations, but I realized this could take me a day or two and I would lose income, have disgruntled users, etc. if I did it this way. So I need to figure out how to do it so there is minimum down time of my forum.
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

1) Do the import in a subfolder, then move the files when done.

2) you can move the old vb files to an "old" folder or similar to get them out the way

3) See no1 :)