importing from vb 3.8 with php 7.3

cwe

So I'm still running a forum on vb 3.8 on an old server running php 5.x. I've got a new server in the rack running php 7.3 and vb 3.8 is choking on it (keep getting a message about forumpath$ that persists even if I set the path in the config file). Anyway, I am looking to move the forum over to Xenforo, but I'm wondering if that is possible - ie. if it's possible for Xenforo to import everything from vb 3.8 - when vb 3.8 doesn't work (on the new, php 7.3 server). The Xenforo importer just needs access to the database, right?

Also, I don't suppose Xenforo has any support for rewriting (forum thread) URLs from vBSEO does it?

The Xenforo importer just needs access to the database, right?
That's correct. We don't need to execute any vBulletin code so the PHP version is immaterial in the context of the import. PHP 7.3 is definitely a good choice (y)

Also, I don't suppose Xenforo has any support for rewriting (forum thread) URLs from vBSEO does it?
There's no direct method, but there are definitely ways to do it. You'll certainly want to use the "Retain content IDs" option as it will make redirections easier (thread IDs, post IDs and forum IDs will be the same in the database).

There's probably loads of threads out there with various solutions. This is the first I found:

I'm looking at doing much the same thing so hope it's okay to jump in and ask a question in this thread.

If you only need the forums MySQL db what about the images that are not stored in the DB? Would those just be moved to the right spot for XF to access them?

I'm looking at doing much the same thing so hope it's okay to jump in and ask a question in this thread.

If you only need the forums MySQL db what about the images that are not stored in the DB? Would those just be moved to the right spot for XF to access them?

Just FYI - I did end up buying an XF license and testing the import. My server guy had copied everything from my old server to the new server and I deleted everything related to the vB site on the new server before installing XF there. I later learned that the XF importer will create an .XML mapping of the images like smilies if it can find them. I had already deleted them, so I don't really know how that works, but the importer handled everything else easy peasy. I can live with old posts no longer having old smilies render. Not really a big deal for me.

If you had customized images for the forum icons and such, XF styling doesn't work the same way as vB 3.8 does, so as long as you have the image files, you will be able to incorporate them into a custom XF style manually. It is actually pretty easy to do.

Top Bottom