XF 1.5 Importing a vBulletin Database into an existing Xenforo forum

Brandon K

I'm looking to merge a vBulletin forum I'm closing with my more active Xenforo forum. So I'm trying to import the vBulletin 4 data into the existing Xenforo forum. I understand there's an Import External Data option in the ACP, but I need a little help going through this step by step. If someone can point me to a guide or walk me through this, I'd appreciate it.

Configure Importer: vBulletin 4.x
MySQL Server:
MySQL Port:
MySQL User Name:
MySQL Password:
MySQL Database Name:
Table Prefix:
Force Character Set:
If you are setting a character set in vBulletin via config.php, you should enter that value here.
What information am I supposed to fill out for this? A little help please.

Assuming both forums are on the same server, those details would generally be what you entered in your vBulletin config file.

If they're not on the same server, the general recommendation would be to backup the source data and restore it to a database on the new server. You'll then need the necessary details to connect to that database. Your host may be able to guide you through this restore and database access part.

Assuming both forums are on the same server, those details would generally be what you entered in your vBulletin config file.

If they're not on the same server, the general recommendation would be to backup the source data and restore it to a database on the new server. You'll then need the necessary details to connect to that database. Your host may be able to guide you through this restore and database access part.
Their not on the same server, so I'll have to ask my host with help with restore and access. The other thing is, my config file has everything on there except the Table Prefix: Force Character Set:. Where do I find those?

If you don't have a table prefix, it's empty.

Forcing the character set isn't needed unless you did that. However, since you're changing servers, it may be needed if your users use accented characters. However, it's not really possible to know until after the import. (One of the important reasons to take a backup of your XF installation before you do the import, or do a test import on a "staging" setup first.)

If you don't have a table prefix, it's empty.

Forcing the character set isn't needed unless you did that. However, since you're changing servers, it may be needed if your users use accented characters. However, it's not really possible to know until after the import. (One of the important reasons to take a backup of your XF installation before you do the import, or do a test import on a "staging" setup first.)
Yeah, I have a test site setup for the important to weed out any issues and I have a backup as well. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom