MG 1.1 Import stopped half way through

Steve8383

I'm in the process of moving my VBulletin forum over to Xenforo.

I first imported all posts, threads, users etc successfully and then moved on to importing the albums via Media Gallery. There are a lot of albums and the process was running smoothly, however, after 9 hrs and with the progress at 61.2% my server suddenly timed out and the import stopped.

I would like to run the import again but I understand this will give me duplicates. Is there a way to remove the album data that has been imported, without wiping the whole database? If the whole database were to be wiped I'd have to re-import all my post threads users etc again.

If you don't have any other content and haven't spent too much time setting it up, the easiest thing would be to uninstall and reinstall the gallery.

Thanks Brogan, I do have all the posts / users / threads etc from the old VB forum. That was last night's overnight import so would rather not lose all that.

So I could just uninstall the media gallery add on without messing up my other data and then start again?

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and went back to re-import.

The importer said there was an import in progress and offered me the option to continue with it, so I did and all seems to be proceeding fine again.

Unfortunately unless you started the import from the beginning, then everything from the original import will have been removed when you uninstalled the gallery.

You likely need to start again.

Unfortunately unless you started the import from the beginning, then everything from the original import will have been removed when you uninstalled the gallery.

You likely need to start again.

Yes, that is indeed what happened. It uploaded the remaining 40% but the first 60% was gone after the uninstall. I'll need to run it again.

So, if it stalls out this time (it's a 13 hr import) can I just continue the importer where it stops (without uninstalling the MG add on) and it will continue where it left off?

Well, hopefully it won't stall again, but if it does, particularly if it happens in the same place, it may indicate some sort of fatal error in the process which is preventing it from continuing and it may require some manual intervention.

Certainly first of all try closing the importer, logging back into the Admin CP and trying to resume it (without uninstalling), though often this doesn't work.

That said, it's potentially possible that with an import that takes so long it might be something to do with the admin session expiring or similar, so certainly worth a try.

If it does indeed happen again, please create a ticket from the customer area and provide FTP and PHPMyAdmin (or similar) login details and we will take a look for you.

Occasionally PHP will just get totally hung up on a particular image, so we can usually just help you skip that image (or images) until the import process continues.

Top Bottom