Implementing permissions across multiple user groups

Implementing permissions across multiple user groups

I'd like to be able to display the forum members who have access to each private sub-forum I've created. Is there a way to do this, perhaps through a user-facing widget? Some users are reluctant to post in a forum as they aren't sure who is or is-not seeing their post, and I'd like to clear-up this confusion. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but we have about 20 user groups all of which have Registered as their primary user group. I've set all user groups permissions as "not set" and set the permissions I want them all to have in the Registered group. All cron and cache updates run.

As this is a role playing site each group is not allowed to view the other teams forums hence the need for all the groups. Group A can view the threads in Forum A but not Forum B.

To test the group permissions I turned off the ability to post a new thread / post likes in the Registered group then tested permissions of different users. They can all still post new threads and likes.

Where have I gone wrong?

Regards,
Renada

Don't use the test permissions feature as it doesn't always work as you expect.

I recommend creating a test user, assigning that user to the user group and then logging in with that account to test.

Brogan updated Implementing permissions across multiple user groups with a new update entry:

How to create a private node

This question comes up quite often so it's worth adding it here for easy reference.

That question being: "How can I allow one user group access to a forum while preventing all others?"

The typical use would be a staff forum to which only staff members have access.

There are two ways of doing it, via node specific permissions.

1. Select the 'Private node' option.
2. Allow the 'View node' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).

or

1. Revoke the 'View node' permission for the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

My scinario is this and hopefully someone can help.

I am planning on giving all my newly registered members a short trial before they are demoted to a lower usergroup if the dont purchase a user upgrade within 14 days of new membership.

If i make the REGISTERED usergroup the default, then once the 14 days is over, drop them into a usergroup called for instance BASIC, using the user ladder system. (registered for 14 days option)
My question is this. How can i make the BASIC usergroup have less permissions than the REGISTERED usergroup, as this will also give them the original, more beneficial REGISTED permissions aswell. Can a group ever have less permission than a REGISTERED user if using the demotion system? Wont they still be in a secondary group called REGISTERED, therefore gaining those permissions also.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.
Thankyou

Brogan, can you explain how the 'Moderators' and 'Administrators' Users settings come into play?

I'm coming from an import from IPB, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but I just discovered today that a couple of my users have 'Super Moderator' powers that I didn't even know they had. :eek:

On my forums, everyone is 'Registered,' as you suggest here, and these two users have 'Moderating' as their Secondary User Group, which is what I assumed was for 'Moderators,' but when I go to Users > Moderators in the Admin CP, I see that they're both listed as 'Super Moderators,' and I can see that this is where they picked up the extra powers.

So, I guess my question is, what is the 'Moderating' user group and/or what is the difference between putting someone in that group as opposed to adding them to the list of Moderators via Users > Moderators (Super/Forum)?

I understand the way permissions are accumulative, and I thought I had everything set the way I wanted, but I guess I'm totally lost on this 'Moderating' vs 'Moderator' thing. :unsure:

After an import you should always check the user group permissions, individual user permissions, moderators and administrators.

User groups are used for permissions and styling - they don't grant moderator status.

That is done in the specific moderator menu - admin.php?moderators/

https://xenforo.com/help/moderators/

After an import you should always check the user group permissions, individual user permissions, moderators and administrators.

I thought I had. :LOL: No harm no foul in this case; these two users are supposed to be my Moderators. It's just that I didn't know, until today, that they were able to do a couple of things that weren't actually intended. It was a head scratcher more than anything else...
User groups are used for permissions and styling - they don't grant moderator status.

This is where I'm apparently lost. If I give someone permission to edit/destroy others' content, doesn't that effectively make him/her a "Moderator?" :unsure:

Moderator permissions can be assigned via user groups, to a user individually, or as a combination of both.

It is recommended to set the Moderating user group permissions to the lowest common set of permissions for all moderators and then increase individual moderators' permissions accordingly.

I guess ^^ this is my answer? "Combination of both" is what caused my problem/confusion today. :ROFLMAO:

This is where I'm apparently lost. If I give someone permission to edit/destroy others' content, doesn't that effectively make him/her a "Moderator?" :unsure:
They may have the permissions normally associated with a moderator but they won't have moderator status until you explicitly promote them to that position.

If a user is given moderator permissions without being made a moderator, the Moderator Bar, Moderation Queue, and Reported Posts will not be accessible.

I just wanted to note that I have a clean install of 1.5.2 and the Administrator that I created during the install isn't in the Registered Users group. You may at some point want to tell beginners in this common scenario how exactly to convert but I think I'll be able to figure it out for myself atm with all you've already done here.

Are you sure?

All members are automatically assigned to the Registered user group by default.

Are you sure?

All members are automatically assigned to the Registered user group by default.

It seems you're right, but there's a really confusing thing then:

- When I look at the administrator via the Users section (it shows Edit User on the right side), it shows his primary is Registered, and he also belongs to the Administrative and Moderating secondary groups via the checkboxes.

- When I look at the administrator via the Administrators section (it shows Edit Administrator on the right side), it shows me check boxes of groups I can add the administrator to, and only the Administrative one is checked, not Registered or Moderating. Shouldn't they show the same thing?

I can screenshot this if you don't also see it (and want to).

Thanks for the response.

- When I look at the administrator via the Administrators section (it shows Edit Administrator on the right side), it shows me check boxes of groups I can add the administrator to, and only the Administrative one is checked, not Registered or Moderating. Shouldn't they show the same thing?
When you add someone as an Administrator, you can specify which secondary user groups you will also add them to (if any). If they are then removed as an administrator, they will automatically be removed from these groups. It saves an additional step of manually adding them to the groups when making an administrator and manually removing them from these when removing an administrator.

Brogan updated Implementing permissions across multiple user groups with a new update entry:

How to create a news/announcement forum in which only staff members can post

Another question which comes up often is, "How can I create a news or announcement forum, in which only staff members can create threads and post replies?".

Again, it is achieved via node specific permissions.

1. Revoke the 'Post new thread' permission for the Registered user group.
2. Allow the 'Post new thread' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).
3. Revoke the 'Post replies' permission for the Registered user group.
4. Allow the 'Post replies' permission for the desired...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I just did a import of a vB installation into xF, and that included about 30,000 members. After reading this excellent guide, I've got to make some changes. Many users have what should be (under xF) a secondary group as their primary group. For example, I have about 1,000 imported users with a primary group of "Banned", and now it looks like I need to change their primary group to "Registered" and their secondary group to "Banned". Obviously this is too labor-intensive to be done manually (and this is just one of many groups that I'll need to alter).

I'm not much of a DB guy, and not that familiar with xF yet, so can anyone help me with some SQL that I can run to accomplish these changes?

I just did a import of a vB installation into xF, and that included about 30,000 members. After reading this excellent guide, I've got to make some changes. Many users have what should be (under xF) a secondary group as their primary group. For example, I have about 1,000 imported users with a primary group of "Banned", and now it looks like I need to change their primary group to "Registered" and their secondary group to "Banned". Obviously this is too labor-intensive to be done manually (and this is just one of many groups that I'll need to alter).

I'm not much of a DB guy, and not that familiar with xF yet, so can anyone help me with some SQL that I can run to accomplish these changes?
You can use the Batch Update Users to change the user group(s) of multiple users at the same time. You can find it by searching for it using the Search in the top right of the Admin Control Panel.

Top Bottom