1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implementing permissions across multiple user groups

How to make best use of the cumulative permission function.

1. Brogan
    Compatible XF Versions:
    Having logged in to quite a few installations to resolve permission issues, it's clear that a lot of people haven't quite grasped the concept.

So here are a few pointers:

1. All members should be in the Registered group as their Primary - that includes moderators, administrators and super administrators.

2. Set the Registered...​
    You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource.

Recent Reviews

1. v8td
    v8td
    5/5,
    Good to read! The first step to take is configure permissions and even if i had a good idea about groups, this resource was welcomed.
  2. TimmyTurbo
    TimmyTurbo
    5/5,
    I was slowly getting there, but this info has fast tracked my understanding of perms, I really appreciate you adding this resource
  3. Steff
    Steff
    5/5,
    Excellent information. Seems that most of us need to learn the basics before we have permission conflicts.
    I am as guilty as sin.
    Since reading this I have dropped groups, move all users and set the permissions up right.
    thanks for taking the time to write this useful article.
  4. matt vinyl
    matt vinyl
    5/5,
    Ahh, not how I did it over on MyBB. This is very interesting and also very helpful. Thank you. Time to get to work!
  5. electrogypsy
    electrogypsy
    5/5,
    Very clear an concise, totally helped me straighten out my user permissions. Thanks for the guide Brogan!
  6. ICPOA FOP
    ICPOA FOP
    5/5,
    I was struggling trying to set permissions for each group and the ones I created. This guide worked out like a charm, it explains the permissions very well. Thank you for the guide.
  7. Ghostaunt
    Ghostaunt
    5/5,
    Excellent ! I think this guide must be included in the documentation.
    Because many people use user group in the wrong way

Thanks for your help !
  8. Kcirtap
    Kcirtap
    5/5,
    Although I already had a hunch that permissions worked this way, I needed to make sure that what I've been doing so far was correct. Thanks for the reassurance!
  9. akhilaniyan
    akhilaniyan
    5/5,
    Thank you explaining everything with suitable examples. I was little-bit confused in xenforo forum permissions, but, Now I got a clear picture on group permissions.

Thanks again Brogan.
  10. jw00dy
    jw00dy
    5/5,
    Thank you for writing this. It is a different way of doing it for sure, but after learning how it works, it's actually easier and better than other implementations I've seen. So again, thank you Brogan for taking the time to educate me.