Implementing permissions across multiple user groups

Implementing permissions across multiple user groups

I moved my regular membership and VIP members over to the correct permissions set up per this guide.

I can't believe I've been doing it wrong for nearly 3 years. Gonna take me awhile to get used to the change.

@Brogan
Yea, I was wrong. Your method/XF method is better than whatever I was arguing on the other thread.
I couldonly realize that after importing all your data and start configuring 30+ add-ons.
Thanks for the guide.

One last question..
To fix my permissions I set all user groups to "Not set (no)".
Now, when setting all my permissions, will I start with unregistered and all groups above inherent the unregistered groups permission? or do I start with Registered, and unregistered will inherent the correct permissions? (Hope you under stand what I am asking.)

No, all groups will inherit from Registered.

Unregistered inherits from no group and should be given a set of permissions with no previous assumptions.

Another thing that I just noticed about permission, is that when adding a moderator/admin, if you tick the permissions that appear after choosing whom is going to be a mod/admin, it overrides the system. So if you want the mod/admin to follow the usergroup permission, you should leave it all unticked.

This is what I'm talking about:
mod_admin.webp

I found this out because I seen in the moderator log that some of my mods where still hard-deleting some post, even after I went through all my permission and did not allow it. Until I came across these permissions which I was under the impression I had to select it every time I added a mod/admin. Perhaps it should be noted somewhere in that page?

All permissions are cumulative, whether applied at the group or user level.

So if you give the permission to hard delete then it will override all other not set (no) values of that permission.

A question regarding "highest priority first":

Say I have my registered set so they can edit a post within the past 5 days and can have 200 characters in their signature
I then create a new "usergroup-new" that can edit a post within the past 10 days (higher than registered) and can have 0 (zero) characters in their signature (lower than registered)

If a member is in registered and added to "usergroup-new" what will happen? Based on all I've read, they will have the highest value from both groups, correct?

(obviously it would be ideal to have registered be the lowest of all / least-common-denominator... but I'm just really curious what happens in this case) :D

Thanks!

A question regarding "highest priority first":

Say I have my registered set so they can edit a post within the past 5 days and can have 200 characters in their signature
I then create a new "usergroup-new" that can edit a post within the past 10 days (higher than registered) and can have 0 (zero) characters in their signature (lower than registered)

If a member is in registered and added to "usergroup-new" what will happen? Based on all I've read, they will have the highest value from both groups, correct?

(obviously it would be ideal to have registered be the lowest of all / least-common-denominator... but I'm just really curious what happens in this case) :D

Thanks!
In this scenario, the member of "usergroup-new" will have 200 characters in their signature, which comes from the Registered group. For numerical values, the highest value 'wins'.

I think of zero in the same way as Not Set (No) for other permissions i.e. just as a Not Set (No) + Allow = Allow then 0 + higher number = higher number.

What is the significance of keeping Registered as the primary usergroup? We have several tiers of administration/moderation and we keep them clearly labeled with custom CSS and titles. Therefore we set the primary usergroup to the admin/mod tier which we need displayed underneath usernames.

The thing that throws me, unless I am missing it, is I cannot look at any particular UG and see which members are in it. I have to look at each member to know what group they're in. Is this correct?

The thing that throws me, unless I am missing it, is I cannot look at any particular UG and see which members are in it. I have to look at each member to know what group they're in. Is this correct?

User search function. Just select the primary and/or secondary usergroups you want to see the users listed from.

Top Bottom