• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 2.0 Image proxy randomizing images

katsulynx

After moving to my new server, I missed setting the directory permission for data and internal_data to writeable for a few hours. Some of my members posted some images meanwhile and ever since then, the image proxy seems to be completely broken. Whenever some images are requested, he seems to be randomly drawing some out of his proxy cache. Every time one reloads the page, different images are loaded. It's really weird... (Video) Are there any tools I can use or measures I can take to correct these issues?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
To confirm, is this just happening to one user? You mention "his proxy cache" so I'm not sure. If so, that's certainly an issue with the proxy on his end.

However, if you have a reverse proxy involved, that could be the cause here, notably if it's disregarding the query string in terms of considering what to return from the cache.

katsulynx

To confirm, is this just happening to one user? You mention "his proxy cache" so I'm not sure.
Ah no, by "him" I was referring to the XF image proxy. It's happening to my users and me as well. If I open up the image proxy log on the backend, it's the same phenomenon. I disabled the proxy for a few minutes and the images went through (as expected) without randomization, after enabling it again, it stayed like that for another 5 minutes, then it started to randomly shuffle them again.

However, if you have a reverse proxy involved, that could be the cause here, notably if it's disregarding the query string in terms of considering what to return from the cache.
How could I check that? I've installed the server software myself, so unless there is some default caching that comes with apache2 or php7.0, there should be none.

Also, if I open the images directly, the correct image is loaded.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
While I'm not 100% positive, a lot of testing seems to point to this likely being a Chrome/Chromium bug (thus in Opera too). It's possible it may also depend on server response specifics. It doesn't appear to be something we can really workaround.

It isn't something that I could reproduce with Chrome Beta (63), so hopefully it will resolve itself in the coming weeks.

katsulynx

@Mike My chrome just updated to Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit), so I gave this another try and turned on the image proxy once again. However, the issue is still present and images keep getting randomized.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I've replied to your conversation about this. I can reproduce this now in the Chrome dev channel (64) though not currently in canary (65), so it's very possible that the relevant changes are being deferred. If possible, the next step may be to produce a reduced test case that we can report to them.