XF 2.3 Image optimization, enhanced image resizing, and more!

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 00.59.50.png
We hope you're enjoying the "Have you seen...?" series for XenForo 2.3 so far. We still have quite a bit more to show you while we work on adding the last finishing touches before we unleash XenForo 2.3 on this very forum.

This week we're going to talk about various improvements we have made which are mostly focused around images.

Check out the index below to skip to a specific post:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

While that is all for this week, we continue next week! We will be focusing on only a single new feature next week, it is a doozy and we're excited to hook you even further into the exciting world of XenForo 2.3 🌎🪝

Not sure I understand, surely there are no restrictions on any emoji with XF as is?
This is a bit confusing for me tbh. I remember having this discussion few years ago.

This is regarding newer emojis released by Unicode and as your device gets support for them. They appear as boxes even on devices which support them. This makes sense if you use non-native option as mentioned in the thread as they would need to be updated. At that time if your board is set to use native emojis, newest emojis did not appear in some parts of the forum even though they were supported by the device being used. Things might have changed since then. A few emojis launched in 2023 seems to appear fine here on this board but here, joypixel would be up to date. It is hard to test support for latest emojis on W10 (or Androids) which is stuck on a really old emoji set even with all updates. Would do some testing if I can get access to an Apple device. Thanks!

tldr. native emojis did not use to work in post content if the emoji was not supported by the toolkit used by joypixels.

Last edited:
Another addition that could help save space and even optimize loading times is to have the image uploader check to see if the image has already been uploaded before. Then it could use the existing data instead of saving it as a duplicate image. I recently calculated that something like this would save 7 GB of space on my forum.
post this as a suggestion

Only a subset, as the full set bloats the JS from 18kb to 70kb and we only use 9 values in XFMG. We can consider unbundling the library to make it easier for add-ons to swap in a build with a bigger set if it's an important use case, but we're unlikely to ship more ourselves.
Having the ability to override the behavior so we can retain the full EXIF would be important for our photography site. [EDIT: Our members would rather have the extra 60~KB in the upload than lose the EXIF.)

Currently our add-on uses exif_read_data to grab the EXIF data after the attachment is on the server but before it gets resized; the resulting array is then stored in a side-table (after we remove some key-value pairs such as GPS info) associated to the attachment so we can format & display elements with the attachment in the post.

Speaking of photography sites... with the image resizing now being client side, is there any mechanisms exposed where we can tweak the settings? I know of several XF admins who have used various means of changing the filter that is used during the resize and also to comment out the stripImage function.

Reasoning
On some of our (photographic) forums we keep a copy of the original image so users can download this, if the image does get resized on the client this wouldn't work any longer (which at least I would classify as some kind of regression).

Furthermore some users really want to keep all EXIF data intact which also wouldn't work with client side image resizing.
This is indispensable!

Tell me, if we use s3, will there be any problems? using this plugin?

It shouldn’t matter because XenForo uses an abstracted filesystem. I do t see them going backwards not no longer using abstracted filesystem in 2.3.

When the image is resized, is there any compression also added? Is it possible to enable/disable between the forum components and the gallery? This is awesome for forum upload attachments, but in the scenario where we have a category in the gallery where we want users to upload essentially raw images, resize and compression would not be wanted.

Really excited about 2.3; it's looking awesome! Still holding out for chunking though :)
best friends love GIF

Just watched that video and liked what I saw. I'm so gonna renew when 2.3 drops. :)

@Kier @Chris D when converting from jpeg to WebP at the same resolution, is there any quality loss?

Very nice job! Does this help with videos in any way?
I don't think any changes / features mentioned in this HYS would affect videos in any way.

IMHO it is a bit disappointing to see that effort has been put into improving client side loading performance for embedded content (images), but Lazy Loading for IFrames has not been addressed :(

On pages with many embedded non-image content this could have a positive effect.

@Kier @Chris D when converting from jpeg to WebP at the same resolution, is there any quality loss?
In most cases you would be converting a lossy format (JPEG) to another lossy format (WebP).

This does require recompressing the image which will have a negative effect on image quality (most likely measurable, but not necessarily perceivable for the average human eye)

Last edited:
The first step is to use the AssetVariantTrait in your Entity which has one required method to implement:

PHP:
public function getAssetVariantSizeMap(): array
{
   return [
      'image_url' => [
         's' => 128,
         'm' => [512, 456]
      ]
  ];
}
What if I want a variant with a width of 512 pixels but I don't care its height (it should be proportional).
Would this work as well (by specifying a height of null / 0)?

In most cases you would be converting a lossy format (JPEG) to another lossy format (WebP).

This does require recompressing the image which will have a negative effect on image quality (most likely measurable, but not necessarily perceivable for the average human eye)
Thanks, I thought so as I knew they're both lossy, hence asked the question. For a forum image, the very slight quality loss likely won't matter since those pictures are for illustration rather than as a high quality resource. Now, the media gallery might be a different proposition.

Top Bottom