Implemented Image and Media gallery must be INTEGRATED

Tigratrus

Image and video gallery that is actually INTEGRATED with the forums. ALL images and video that has been uploaded should categorizable, searchable and should be EASILY organized and reused by the member. Take a look at http://www.plupload.com/ for an upload system that resizes the image ON THE WORKSTATION. This is huge, as most people don't have a clue how to resize an image and get frustrated when their 5 MB image takes forever to upload.

Upvote 19
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
With the ability to tag your friends in it ala facebook.
Also a batch upload function and not the 'browse' 1 pic at a time feature of vB lol

Preferably 'next picture' in ajax for smooth scrolling through an album.

- and an 'ALL Albums' page to view all the latest albums uploaded to the site with categories of 'just your friends albums, your albums, all sites albums.

With the calendar approach here, i think if we can't do it right then we shouldn't do it. Something this big requires thought and can't just be jumped into.

I currently have a mod in vB that does photo tagging. If you guys want to incorporate this into xenforo, I can put you in contact with the mod writer and Im sure he can get it done for you guys in a few days.

:: nods ::

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/which-addons-would-you-require.46/page-7#post-7889

We have a similar mod that allows tagging sections of images inside a Photoplog Gallery. The gallery also:

Allows the creation of images "Sets" that can be associated with a thread.
When you create a "Note" about a specific part of an image, it pulls that section of the image out and uses it at the beginning of a post in the thread associated with the image set so that you can show WHAT part of an image you want to talk about.
You can also spawn a new thread to talk about or ask questions about a specific image.

Take a look at http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/ikea...ain-wire-assembly-instructions-annotated.html

For an example of what I'm talking about.
It would also be nice to use an uploader like plupload (by the same folks that do tinymce) that is both a better user experience and can often perform image resize operations on the WORKSTATION rather than the server, which greatly reduces bandwidth and user frustration.
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...n-the-*users-machine*-see-link.384/#post-4110

I'm divided on this one. An image gallery would be great, and makes sense for discussion and community building. Videos, however, are more of a bells & whistles thing, IMO. I'm a fan of both, but more a fan of keeping the stock software as lightweight as possible; keeping the code from getting too complex.

IMO, video/media galleries are not a part of a "forum", but are a really nice extra to have, as so many of todays forums integrate galleries into their sites.

For a 1.x release, I would like to see the groundwork implemented for a simple picture gallery that can eventually be expanded into a full featured picture and media center.

I'm divided on this one. An image gallery would be great, and makes sense for discussion and community building. Videos, however, are more of a bells & whistles thing, IMO. I'm a fan of both, but more a fan of keeping the stock software as lightweight as possible; keeping the code from getting too complex.
I agree. An image gallery is nice, but not essential. I like the lightweight-ness and speed of this software, without the bloat.

Does that mean it will not be in version 1.x ?
That's what that means. ;)

I think some people need to get past the 'not part of a forum' arguments. Forums have been around the longest compared to social websites and they must evolve and go to wear social media have taken us or they will become fossils. Many of us who have run message boards for over 10 years like myself have felt what the facebooks of the world have done to our traffic. People have moved on to do more online than just make a post and read a reply. xenforo's features are truly keeping up with the times and thats why im buying it when it comes out.

why not create a simple system that displays all uploaded media files in the user's profile page?
(provide the basics and the community will extend the feature)

at the very least...
- allow creation of folders so that the end-user can group files
- allow tagging
- some kind of permissions settings per folder

why not create a simple system that displays all uploaded media files in the user's profile page?
(provide the basics and the community will extend the feature)

at the very least...
- allow creation of folders so that the end-user can group files
- allow tagging
- some kind of permissions settings per folder

I would rather have no system then a simple system, I really would.

Your suggestion would be exactly like vBulletins gallery system, which is very hard to get members to use, and really requires much more work then it has been given.

If a media gallery is added (Video, and images), it should be feature rich, and be built into the forum in such a way that members will utilize it to the best of their ability. I would like to see members adopt the gallery system for things posted on the site (And even off the site) instead of using an image host, and in some cases Vimeo/Youtube or another such site.

Exactly.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a great thread that someone put together as a record of their project or even a tutorial for others to use, but they used images hosted on flikr or photobucket etc. Then 6 months later a members is reading through it and posts asking if they can get the images because they are all broken links! We also create articles based on member threads, and if the images are uploaded to our site, based on our site Terms and Conditions we have the legal right to use them in one of our articles. If they are hosted elsewhere it's less clear, though our members will almost always grant us permission sometimes we can't get in touch with them.

The vast majority of "Gallery" systems out there treat images as a totally separate kind of content, with it's own ratings system, voting system, comment system etc. Personally, unless you are a photography or other graphic media site where it IS all about the images that's pretty much a dead end. The vB system of having all images stove piped in buried user profiles is a total waste as well, and lacks any real value added for the member, the community or the site.

User uploaded images can be a hugely valuable resource that help your members tell their story, but so can other files like spreadsheets, .pdf, .fpf, .cad, dwg etc... What we need is a full featured system that makes all uploaded files sortable, searchable and REUSABLE. Attached files are a wasted opportunity, often a very large one, for valuable user generated content.

What we implemented in our system is galleries that are parallel name/structure wise with the forums. The forum and it's associated gallery are linked via configuration in the ACP so that if you comment on an image in a given gallery, it creates a thread in the associated forum with the image set that the image is part of showing in the GARS module at the top of the thread. Members can add "Notes" about parts of an image which grabs a part of the image and shows it at the beginning of a post in that image set's thread. This lets people comment or ask questions about a specific part of an image.

Take a look at the thread http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/ikea...ain-wire-assembly-instructions-annotated.html specifically the 3rd/4th posts for an example of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm totally aware that Galleries aren't intended to be part of the initial release of XF, and that makes sense. I just wanted to put in a word before they start building a "Gallery" product to hopefully inform some of the decisions before they get started on that project. Images and other files are just as much a part of modern online interaction as text, and it's time that Forums catch on to that fact and start treating treating uploaded files as the valuable User Generated Content that they often are. They should be fully intertwined WITH the forums, to enhance the forums system, not be a separate parallel system that happens to share an authentication and templating system.

'K. Sorry about the soapbox bit... I just hate to see lost opportunity in community building, :) And I have hope that with this fresh new start, we might see some change in this arena as well.

Kier or Mike mentioned that it would be an integrated feature later on (I think, don't hold me to it because I'm pretty delusional from lack of sleep).

I think there SHOULD be Flickr support however, for importing and exporting of images. While I would use the gallery on the forum, the use of Flickr to show images can often lead to the discovery of your forum (At least in the way of art and the like).

Top Bottom