iMac

Lee

So, my wife has just won an iMac at work. :D

I've wanted to replace my development machine for a while, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Can anybody recommend any good code editing apps? Preferably with syntax highlighting. Would be nice if they have the option to auto format my code (because I am lazy as sin :P) but thats not a deal breaker.

What other cool apps can anyone recommend? I want something to record the screen as well, like what Kier does here.

Sublime Text 2, Coda 2, ZendStudio, NetBeans (+ Extensions), ... (I prefer Coda2)

For screenrecording: Mac has QuickTime X, which has the opportunity, to record your screen – it's actually what Kier uses, if I remember right. ;)

I only know Coda 2 and Adobe Dreamweaver. I've used Coda 2 since it's in a much more acceptable price range ;)

And as Steffi says, QuickTime can record your screen. There's no need to use a 3rd party app. And Kier uses it indeed!

BIG thumbs up for Coda 2...I do all my dev work in it. XAMPP for localhost setup. Cornerstone 2 for SVN, definitely (I believe Kier recommended that to me, originally). PrivacyScan and MacScan for keeping the naughties at bay. ;)

Sublime Text 2, nothing else compares imo.. unless you're looking for a full IDE. Can't recommend it enough.

Install the package control plugin and you have access to thousands of 1-click install extensions that you can customize to your liking.

Also the free trial isn't limited, though I highly recommend supporting it's development. It's the best thing I've seen since Textmate and it's extremely productive once you get used to it.

BBEdit is amazing. Small, fast and very powerful.

PhpStorm is ok if you are doing big projects. It has weird interface though, not like other Mac apps.

I was thinking the same and thought something along the lines:

Lee's Wife: I just won an imac...
Lee: Yoink!! *runs away laughing*
Lee's Wife: Where did my imac go?

:p

Sheez, if I won an iMac there is no way hubster would be getting his grubby mits on it!

The kid would probably try to steal it though :cautious:

Depending on what you need from an code editor.. ranging from Chocolat, to an IDE, such as Eclipse / Zend Studio, Netbeans, IntelliJ IDEA etc.

For me, Coda just isn't an IDE, it's a text editor with basic code functionality.

On my Mac, these are current things which are open:
Screen%20Shot%202013-03-04%20at%2021.55.33.png

Sublime Text 2, nothing else compares imo.. unless you're looking for a full IDE. Can't recommend it enough.

Install the package control plugin and you have access to thousands of 1-click install extensions that you can customize to your liking.

Also the free trial isn't limited, though I highly recommend supporting it's development. It's the best thing I've seen since Textmate and it's extremely productive once you get used to it.

Pretty much this.

Even compared to Coda 1, I think Sublime Text 2 is much better. Coda 2 reminds me more of iWeb than a true developer's editor. I mostly write in Python, Go, C/C++, Haskel and Erlang nowadays, and Coda assumes you're dealing with more-or-less the LAMP stack and basic PHP sites, or working with a lot of front-end stuff (e.g., JS/CSS). There's nothing wrong with that, but it definitely feels like an example of do one thing well vs. do a lot of things decently well.

Top Bottom