1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iMac

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lee, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

So, my wife has just won an iMac at work. :D

I've wanted to replace my development machine for a while, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Can anybody recommend any good code editing apps? Preferably with syntax highlighting. Would be nice if they have the option to auto format my code (because I am lazy as sin :p) but thats not a deal breaker.

What other cool apps can anyone recommend? I want something to record the screen as well, like what Kier does here.

euantor and Kim like this.
  2. Steffi

Steffi Active Member

Sublime Text 2, Coda 2, ZendStudio, NetBeans (+ Extensions), ... (I prefer Coda2)

For screenrecording: Mac has QuickTime X, which has the opportunity, to record your screen – it's actually what Kier uses, if I remember right. ;)

Jeremy P and John like this.
  3. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

I only know Coda 2 and Adobe Dreamweaver. I've used Coda 2 since it's in a much more acceptable price range ;)

And as Steffi says, QuickTime can record your screen. There's no need to use a 3rd party app. And Kier uses it indeed!

4. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

You're gonna snag her mac?

Ouch. o_O

Rob Fritz and intradox like this.
  5. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

I know some people that like Aptana Studio

6. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

7. John

John Well-Known Member

BIG thumbs up for Coda 2...I do all my dev work in it. XAMPP for localhost setup. Cornerstone 2 for SVN, definitely (I believe Kier recommended that to me, originally). PrivacyScan and MacScan for keeping the naughties at bay. ;)

8. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Plus one for Coda 2.

9. cornishman

cornishman Active Member

Textmate or BBEdit
    Though I admit to using Parallels with RapidPHP simply because I love it!

10. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

Sublime Text 2, nothing else compares imo.. unless you're looking for a full IDE. Can't recommend it enough.

Install the package control plugin and you have access to thousands of 1-click install extensions that you can customize to your liking.

Also the free trial isn't limited, though I highly recommend supporting it's development. It's the best thing I've seen since Textmate and it's extremely productive once you get used to it.

euantor and Jason like this.
  11. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

BBEdit is amazing. Small, fast and very powerful.

PhpStorm is ok if you are doing big projects. It has weird interface though, not like other Mac apps.

12. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Congrats to your Wife Lee :D

Shame she is losing it already LOL hehehe

Rob Fritz likes this.
  13. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same and thought something along the lines:

Lee's Wife: I just won an imac...
    Lee: Yoink!! *runs away laughing*
    Lee's Wife: Where did my imac go?

:p

Rob Fritz, Lucas, tickedon and 2 others like this.
  14. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Sheez, if I won an iMac there is no way hubster would be getting his grubby mits on it!

The kid would probably try to steal it though :cautious:

Rob Fritz and Shelley like this.
  15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Exactly like that :p

It'll be shared.....honest!

Kim and Shelley like this.
  16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Depending on what you need from an code editor.. ranging from Chocolat, to an IDE, such as Eclipse / Zend Studio, Netbeans, IntelliJ IDEA etc.

For me, Coda just isn't an IDE, it's a text editor with basic code functionality.

On my Mac, these are current things which are open:
    [​IMG]

17. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.

Even compared to Coda 1, I think Sublime Text 2 is much better. Coda 2 reminds me more of iWeb than a true developer's editor. I mostly write in Python, Go, C/C++, Haskel and Erlang nowadays, and Coda assumes you're dealing with more-or-less the LAMP stack and basic PHP sites, or working with a lot of front-end stuff (e.g., JS/CSS). There's nothing wrong with that, but it definitely feels like an example of do one thing well vs. do a lot of things decently well.

Jeremy P likes this.
  18. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Wait, Sublime Text is $70?

19. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

As of a few weeks ago they increased the price IIRC. Used to be $59.

20. Kelso

Kelso Member

Coda is amazing :)