XF 1.1 Ignoring the rest of the conversation

Weppa333

I am not sure how other XF admins handle this, but I can't really see a positive usage of the possibilty to ignore someone's private messages. It's rude, unexpected, and could lead to serious legal problems as well in my case (a lot of people buying stuff from each other)

Is there a way to disable this feature ? I did it with a dirty hack ( commenting it out in the template) and I looked at Resources to see if there was a MODification doing something like that, but it seems this poses a problem to none else but me :)
"Conversation essentials" is a bit of a solution (at least the guy who writes knows he's being ignored from now on) but it's not really a solution either ( the guy will simply pop up another conversation )

Basically, I would like to rollback to VB3.6 functionality, rename "quit conversation" to "delete", remove the possibility to "ignore further replies", etc.

Is there a MOD that does that ? Am I alone in my quest ?

Well my main problem is with someone continuing a conversation with someone who has decided to ignore it at the other end.
Imagine two people involved in a transaction. The seller closes the conversation, even in good faith, and the other guy keeps shouting "hey, i never received my package", "u there ??", "six days and no news from ya !!!!", "if you don't reply to me mofo i'm gonna send my friends to your home !!!!", etc. You see the picture.

Of course, one might argue that it's just a shortcut to ignore someone, and that the same result can be achieved with ignoring someone altogether, but I believe here, this feature is encouraging people to ignore each other...

Well to accomplish it, you will need to edit the phrase to change the wording of Leave Conversation and edit conversation_leave to hide the future message handling... Change:
HTML:
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">

to
HTML:
    <dl class="ctrlUnit" style="display: none !important;">

Well my main problem is with someone continuing a conversation with someone who has decided to ignore it at the other end.

It would be nice if an error message would be displayed if a new conversation post is initiated and all other participants have left the conversation by means of (Ignore future messages). The error message would indicate that all other participants have left the conversation and that a new conversation should be created.

It would be nice if an error message would be displayed if a new conversation post is initiated and all other participants have left the conversation by means of (Ignore future messages). The error message would indicate that all other participants have left the conversation and that a new conversation should be created.

Why an error message? Leaving a conversation is not an error.

Well I suppose many people don't run into the legal hassles I face daily. :) *
It seems none agrees with me.
I'll tune my set up according to my experience of my liability, and my local laws

You could just display the conversation status and remove the editor box as I do here:
http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/all_left_convo-png.56463/

There's a reason why leaving a conversation is done without other participants being made aware.

If individuals want to make them aware they are going to leave/ignore further messages they can do so.
I would think the system was designed this way in order to simplify the Inbox by not including a folder system which would normally include a "Deleted" folder.
I highly doubt it was designed as a means to let people unknowingly converse with themselves :)
Perhaps Mike or Kier could let us know what the thought process was/is?!

Imagine two people involved in a transaction. The seller closes the conversation, even in good faith, and the other guy keeps shouting "hey, i never received my package", "u there ??", "six days and no news from ya !!!!", "if you don't reply to me mofo i'm gonna send my friends to your home !!!!", etc. You see the picture.

Of course, one might argue that it's just a shortcut to ignore someone, and that the same result can be achieved with ignoring someone altogether, but I believe here, this feature is encouraging people to ignore each other...
They could just start a new conversation with the person in question.

Fair enough regarding Mike's comment but this assumes you are having a conversation with one other person doesn't it?
If you leave permanently from larger conversations then basically you are placing them all in the same category (be it irritating/abusive/annoying) as they are not the wiser.
Yes you could notify everyone you are leaving, as Paul mentioned, by posting such a message but isn't that the same as indicting this fact in some manner within the conversation view?
Personally I see no benefit in letting people guess as to whether anyone is left in the conversation.

Personally I see no benefit in letting people guess as to whether anyone is left in the conversation.

It's sort of like sending an email, you never know if the recipient received it until they reply.

I think most people wait a long time before leaving a conversations, so the problem isn't that great.

Top Bottom