As designed  Ignore system

Omg it was fine before 1.1 beta 2, now I can see the ignored members' posts collapsed, which makes no sense at all. Why did they change it? Just hide their posts completely, it was perfect. The ignore system got worse instead of better. :(

Edit: it seems I was confused, it only shows when following a direct link to it.

Omg it was fine before 1.1 beta 2, now I can see the ignored members' posts collapsed, which makes no sense at all. Why did they change it? Just hide their posts completely, it was perfect. The ignore system got worse instead of better. :(
I don't see a collapsed post :confused: There's just a link at the bottom of the page to 'Show ignored content'. Is that what you're referring to?

I don't see a collapsed post :confused: There's just a link at the bottom of the page to 'Show ignored content'. Is that what you're referring to?
I see the member's avatar and user info, on the right side I see 'You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content'.

Might as well stop ignoring them as there's not much difference now. It works more like a spoiler tag than anything else now.

Below is a partial screenshot. The spoiler tag container like displays if you are ignoring somebody and they happened to be the last poster and you click the link from index lastpost (latest poster area). The content is hidden, however, they're avatar still shows and that intrusive container.

ignore_container_box.webp

Is see the member's avatar and user info, on the right side I see 'You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content'.

Might as well stop ignoring them as there's not much difference now. It works more like a spoiler tag than anything else now.

I've brought the issue up already about this and felt the same way that it's made the ignore feature next to redundant and not worth ignoring anyone.

Sure hope this gets resolved as I have members who definitely do not want to see any mention, avatars, or anything else referring to certain other members, and have made it quite clear that they will not be changing their mind. Seems like the software should at least have an admin-selectable option to have Ignore honor such wishes.

They have said that they will no longer participate in our Forum if this cannot be properly effected.

That is very concerning, as they are valuable contributors.

Hmm, I'm seeing different behaviour for two different users.

For DutchBB I see nothing, for Shelley I see the bar stating "Show Ignored Content"

ignore-users.webp

Edit: I see what's happening, you need to completely refresh the page to hide the bar and/or not navigate directly to the post URL. I ignored the users while on the page, hence the difference in behaviour.

Is see the member's avatar and user info, on the right side I see 'You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content'.

I agree that this is insufficient.

... In fact I'd already notified the valuable user who had stopped participating, that the new Ignore feature would completely remove this other user's presence from their screens, and now I'm reading that this is no longer the case. That is extremely disappointing.

The functionality hasn't changed, as I explained in my post above.

If you navigate directly to content from an ignored user, you will see the placeholder.
This is required for technical reasons.

Without trying to sound harsh, if you think it's worse than before, then I find that a little bit strange as it actually shows less than it did in beta 1. Where you get the place holder in beta 2, in beta 1 you saw the entire post content. You can basically see that this report was created because of that behavior.

For reference, the system works this way when you navigate directly to a post by a user you ignore (ie, #post-1234 is in the URL). Not doing this creates even more confusion (either by ignoring the jump or by showing the entire content).

Thanks for your post Mike. To clarify my understanding of this: If someone is Ignoring a user, the only way they would see anything about this user is if they happened to hit a link e.g. that someone else (that the user is NOT ignoring) had included in another post, THEN they would see the stuff shown further up in this thread.
Other than that, they still would not see posts by this ignored user, unless of course if someone this user is not ignoring mentions or quotes the ignored user in a post.

Am I understanding correctly?

It is possible to get jumped to the post directly via something like the last post link or the first unread link in certain scenarios (may change that), but otherwise it would basically be from someone else or external sources.

Without trying to sound harsh, if you think it's worse than before, then I find that a little bit strange as it actually shows less than it did in beta 1. Where you get the place holder in beta 2, in beta 1 you saw the entire post content. You can basically see that this report was created because of that behavior.

For reference, the system works this way when you navigate directly to a post by a user you ignore (ie, #post-1234 is in the URL). Not doing this creates even more confusion (either by ignoring the jump or by showing the entire content).

I disagree with that argument mike with all due respect. Yes it displays less but what you've now thrown into the mix is that intrusive container showing in posts. If last poster is meant to be just that in your eyes and displays the lastposter even if you have ignored the user (this was the argument i got from kier) then why even try to partially hide it with the spoiler like container? And to throw inconsistency into the mix, your left having the post hidden (no problem there) but that intrusive spoiler bar showing and the avatar showing. That just doesn't make sense.

Your trying to partially hide the ignored users post and then on the otherhand saying the lastposter when clicked on index is designed like this and it should show you the last poster. For me, ignored means ignored and this method of thinking and infact it's implementation contradicts what your saying because the fact of the matter is your saying lasterposter (even if you ignore) is designed like this and should be viewed yet your partially hiding that ignored users post.

Not to mention if you have an actived ignored user your always going to see this spoiler like container because the fact of the matter people mostly navigate through the lastposter area on index not through threadlistings and this defeats the purpose of even using the ignored system.

However it is works at the moment is perfect. My xenforo experience minus Carlos' drivel removed is much better than it was :D

Top Bottom