If you were KAM, who would you hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would addon developers make more money as a paid employee or would they make more as they are now?

Would addon developers make more money as a paid employee or would they make more as they are now?
Would totally depend on how good they are. If you are an addon developer making a bunch of crap no one wants to buy, then yeah... you probably aren't going to make a whole lot "as they are now".

If you make an addon that many people are willing to pay for, you would probably make more doing that than as a salaried employee (for example vBSEO is an "addon").

Would totally depend on how good they are. If you are an addon developer making a bunch of crap no one wants to buy, then yeah... you probably aren't going to make a whole lot "as they are now".

If you make an addon that many people are willing to pay for, you would probably make more doing that than as a salaried employee (for example vBSEO is an "addon").
I read an interview about the creators of vbseo awhile ago. It looks like they make more money as third party developers than they would as a paid employee.

I read an interview about the creators of vbseo awhile ago. It looks like they make more money as third party developers than they would as a paid employee.
Also depends on what they would have been paid as an employee. Some paid employees make millions/year, so... :)

lol that's what this whole thread's about.
I suppose, but since we are talking about how much one would get paid working for a forum software maker vs. doing stuff on their own, you should also factor in the fact that the same person might make more than either option doing more or less the same thing for a different industry. Like I'm sure there are normal non-managerial programmers at Google, Facebook or Apple that make more than all the vBulletin developers combined (25-30 of them).

In that scenario, it just comes down to how good you are.

Either way, I don't know what anyone in the forum industry makes as a salary.
Not enough to work for someone like IB (speaking from a personal perspective, mind you). Plus, it's not always about just the money one makes that makes a job attractive. ;)

First I would hire lawyers. Then I would hire someone who is a god at integrating the forum into mobile devices.
After this hiring phase, I would move into purchasing mode. Probably things like norton motorcycles, a pizza oven,
one of those things that tells you when to stop perfectly in your garage. I'd stock up on MC hammer pants, I can see those coming back in fashion . Point is I'm looking further ahead then most of you.

I suppose, but since we are talking about how much one would get paid working for a forum software maker vs. doing stuff on their own, you should also factor in the fact that the same person might make more than either option doing more or less the same thing for a different industry. Like I'm sure there are normal non-managerial programmers at Google, Facebook or Apple that make more than all the vBulletin developers combined (25-30 of them).

In that scenario, it just comes down to how good you are.
Isn't DigitalPoint your main source of income? If so, you'd have some idea of potentially how much a single person can make! Then again, DP is more than just a forum.

With technology, you'll have companies who'll pay you thousands just to make them a website. My previous employer (a broker) set aside £5k for a company to build them a website that I knew I could do myself. It got me thinking... why aren't I focusing on that industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom