If you were KAM, who would you hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose what I was implying is that if you are moving forward (even if it's just at the experimental level) with the XF platform as a base when the future of the product is uncertain, then it 'could' be taken as a positive sign (whether you intend for it to be or not) to many others trying to map out a plan...I don't think you'd spend time on something that could realistically be going away, regardless of your joy of coding. I might be way out in left field with that line of thinking, though. :unsure:
Well then to answer your question... if I was opening a new forum (from scratch) today, I'd probably use XenForo as the base even when factoring in the possibility of a "worst case scenario" of there never being another version. No new version ever is better than some other options where every new version actually gets worse.

Well then to answer your question... if I was opening a new forum (from scratch) today, I'd probably use XenForo as the base even when factoring in the possibility of a "worst case scenario" of there never being another version. No new version ever is better than some other options where every new version actually gets worse.

I agree that XF is great as it is (and I'm starting to really enjoy creating plug-ins for it, and continue to put lots of hours into this now)
However, I'm not sure that really is the worse scenario

Could IB not ask you to take down your site for use of copyright software if you were using XF (and XF lost <, I'm not talking about how unlikely this might be) ...
Pumping lots of hours into XF and then finding out that I'm not allowed to use it at all is what really scares me (lots of effort going into plug-ins that can't easily be transferred to another system)

This doesn't affect / bother you even a tiny amount, or is this some how impossible (It's worries me little) ?

I agree that XF is great as it is (and I'm starting to really enjoy creating plug-ins for it, and continue to put lots of hours into this now)
However, I'm not sure that really is the worse scenario

Could IB not ask you to take down your site for use of copyright software if you were using XF (and XF lost) ...
Pumping lots of hours into XF and then finding out that I'm not allowed to use it at all is what really scares me (lots of effort going into plug-ins that can't easily be transferrd to another system)

This doesn't affect / bother you even a tiny amount?
Software doesn't usually work that way... Take for example the whole Google vs. Oracle fight about Google stealing Java code for Android. If Oracle had won, the court wouldn't make everyone who unknowingly bought an Android phone to turn in their phones for destruction. Rather Google would have to pay some sort of monetary damages to Oracle. Same deal with the whole Apple vs. Samsung thing... Even though Apple won, no one is turning in their Samsung phones.

I'm sure there would be a difference if consumers KNOWINGLY were purchasing copyrighted software. But when it comes down to it, I know vBulletin's guts better than some of their developers and in my personal/professional opinion, there is zero copied code in there.

If IB wanted to sue everyone using XenForo, of course that would be their right... doesn't mean they would win. In fact it would be rather interesting considering there is quite a bit of code in vBulletin that *I've* personally written (I've never been employed by vBSI).

I have no loyalty to any platform... I'll use whatever is the best option at the time I evaluate stuff.

I've wondered about this: why not write your own forumsoftware? You've stated several times that you prefer not to use other peoples addons / code, and you say you don't need other peoples code.. so not why create the whole thing yourself? Too much work?

I've wondered about this: why not write your own forumsoftware? You've stated several times that you prefer not to use other peoples addons / code, and you say you don't need other peoples code.. so not why create the whole thing yourself? Too much work?
It would be a lot of work for something I would only use in-house. I don't want to get into the business of selling forum software... too much work (especially with support) for no where remotely close to enough money. $150 (or whatever the going price for forum software is) does not make me want to hold people's hands on how to properly configure PHP or whatever other dumb question users ask. lol If I could guarantee somewhere around 10,000 licenses to be sold for $10,000 per plus $2,000/year for support/upgrades, maybe... otherwise, no thanks... I have more interesting things to work on. :)

I'd rather pay the $150 and get a good starting point for what I want to build (and save myself a whole hell of a lot of hours building the framework for everything). ;)

It would be a lot of work for something I would only use in-house. I don't want to get into the business of selling forum software... too much work (especially with support) for no where remotely close to enough money. $150 (or whatever the going price for forum software is) does not make me want to hold people's hands on how to properly configure PHP or whatever other dumb question users ask. lol If I could guarantee somewhere around 10,000 licenses to be sold for $10,000 per plus $2,000/year for support/upgrades, maybe... otherwise, no thanks... I have more interesting things to work on. :)
And then there's the risk that some **** will sue you... :whistle:

one would think you wouldn't need to provide any support
Yeah... never the case. I used to make accounting software and people would need support on how to print something from their new printer that doesn't have a print driver for their operating system. Since they were trying to print a report from the accounting software, it became our problem somehow. :)

Reactions: HWS
Yeah... never the case. I used to make accounting software and people would need support on how to print something from their new printer that doesn't have a print driver for their operating system. Since they were trying to print a report from the accounting software, it became our problem somehow. :)
That why you hire a support team, it eats away at the profits and it sucks holding people hands for a few £'s, but that's what the consumer often expects

Reactions: vVv
That why you hire a support team, it eats away at the profits and it sucks holding people hands for a few £'s, but that's what the consumer often expects
Oooorrrrrr... I just keep doing things that I consider more interesting and don't go into the forum software business. ;)

If I could guarantee somewhere around 10,000 licenses to be sold for $10,000 per plus $2,000/year for support/upgrades, maybe... otherwise, no thanks... I have more interesting things to work on. :)
That sounds very similar to what Magento does. 50k per license. And that's without all the additional modification costs. Then its almost $100k.
I would say that something similar can be done for enterprise forum software.

Reactions: HWS
In no particular order....
  • digitalpoint ---- Dev
  • guiltar ---- Dev
  • Darkimmortal ---- Dev
  • Chris Deeming ---- Dev / Support
  • Jake Bunce ---- Dev / Support
  • Shelley ---- Design
  • Ehren ---- Design
  • Slavik ---- Support / Forum
  • Lawrence ---- Support / Forum
I need to add 1 more person to my dream team...

StopForumSpam.com would be hired for spam control.

If I were Kier I would hire the current support staff and try to get Brogan back to lead them. I would then beg Mike to come back and kiss his feet on live video. When it comes to new programmers only a professional with real talent is going to recognize the kind of skills that Xenforo needs.

If I were Kier I would hire the current support staff and try to get Brogan back to lead them. I would then beg Mike to come back and kiss his feet on live video. When it comes to new programmers only a professional with real talent is going to recognize the kind of skills that Xenforo needs.
Word we need a robot to terminate this mess.

I have to say that I would not hire the current moderators in a leadership role. They are too inconsistent and use subjective reasoning instead of a set of rules. I think they are too quick to censor licensed members because of what might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom