If upgrade, will I lose all my custom work?

With the exception of file modifications you won't lose any of your work. But there is a possibility of old custom templates being incompatible with the new version which may require you to manually update those templates after the upgrade. That's what ragtek is talking about.

If your not using the extra.css template for your template edits (pending what they are) I suggest using the extra.css template to minimise the need of potential lost work due to reverting. Also, the style properties or a large portion of css code can be placed inside the appropriate areas to further minimise lost work/template edits.

If you made it to the Master Template (this is not the default style but the core style), then yes it will.
Otherwise you wont unless you revert the template. I spent about two hours updating all my templates through reverting them (I have about 7 styles in use atm), its not that hard if you use notepad++ and compare the old template with the new to see the major changes

If you made it to the Master Template (this is not the default style but the core style), then yes it will.

1. normal users doesn't see the master style (you can see it only in the debug mode, which shouldn't be enabled on the liveboard)
2. Hm, why should anybody change the master templates?:D

Any templates which you edit, which are then subsequently changed in a later release, will have to be reverted and the edits reapplied.

Well I meant mostly template edits.
even after you update you will need to manually click a 'revert template' button to update any customised templates. they wont automatically overwrite, so you will have an opportunity to copy and paste the old ones somewhere to work out how to update the new ones.
in reality you may not need to revert them anyway. i have templates as old as beta 3 that i have never reverted.

I had to revert 7 outdated Templates. I made a copy of them, reverted, paste my Code into the reverted Templates.. et voila.
Was 10 Minutes of "work"

Not sure if I follow. I only wanted one custom style available to my users, so I deleted the Default style and customized my style and renamed it.

If I upgrade to RC2, I'm assuming the Default style will reappear correct? Should I simply export my current custom style and then import it after upgrading?

I also edited the PAGE_CONTAINER template to add a custom message box. Should I simply copy the PAGE_CONTAINER code to a text file then copy it back again after upgrading?

I also edited the PAGE_CONTAINER template to add a custom message box. Should I simply copy the PAGE_CONTAINER code to a text file then copy it back again after upgrading?
If you do that then any changes to the template in the latest release will be lost.

All you need to do after an upgrade is the following:
Check for outdated templates - if there are any, it will only be templates which you have previously modified.
Make a note of any edits you have made to the now outdated templates.
Revert the templates
Reapply your edits.

I keep a list of my edits in a file so after an upgrade, any templates which are outdated I can easily refer to the file and reapply them.

I had to revert 7 outdated Templates. I made a copy of them, reverted, paste my Code into the reverted Templates.. et voila.
Was 10 Minutes of "work"
Are you copying and pasting the same code back? Might as well not revert.
Or editing a reverted copy?
I copy my old template to disk.
Revert. Copy reverted file to disk.
Compare the two and apply edits to reverted file.

Stupid question time... what is the "revert" function and where do I find it? I'm looking under Appearance>Templates and Appearance>Styles and don't see it.

Thanks Brogan, but what about the custom style? Can I simply export it before upgrading, then import it again?
There is no need and in fact that is not the correct way to do it.

The style is stored in the database.
Any outdated templates will be highlighted after upgrading.

To revert a template, open it and the Revert button is at the bottom.

Was 10 Minutes of "work"
Doing that only sets the value of the template to new, but it can actually does more harm than good. When you revert the template, it adds the extra settings and template changes (such as, new hooks). If they decided to change something that was there in the beginning to something completely different and void using the old structure, then your site is going to look very weird.

Here's something you may not expect: You can upgrade and NOT have to revert. You retain the template edits!

I have two xenforo sites and have not reverted most of the templates.

You can also check for outdated templates form the acp in appearance if you wanted to manually check...but you will be directed there in the acp automatically when you go to appropriate section.

after upgrading the board all the templates that you customized will appear in the outdated templates ...

like was said before you can just copy and paste them to a text file on your local computer.

Revert the templates.

Then you can manually check the differences or use a document compare function in an editor if you have a lot of edits and just apply your edits in the same way you did before...Kinda wish you posted earlier before I upgraded so you could see as an example how simple it is from some screenshots.

Note to the next person upgrading and reading this...post some screenies if you can here for an example.

Top Bottom