XF 1.2 If threads are called discussions, why Post New Thread?

Stuart Wright

I like the idea of moving away from the terms threads and posts as discussions and messages are more user friendly IMO.
However, we seem to be clinging to the notion of starting a new thread still with the Post New Thread button.
It appears that the word Thread is used in quite a lot of phrases. It seems somewhat confusing that we would hang on to a legacy term and make life more difficult for new people than it needs to be. We have to explain what a thread is and that it's the same as a discussion.

I was wondering why it's still in Xenforo, and who has edited their phrases to change it to Discussion site wide.

Can we dispose of the term Thread?

By existing forum users, maybe, but people new to forums will think a post is something they get from the postman and a thread is what holds your pullover together.

Perhaps for the first time user. But once they have successfully created a new Thread the term Thread is more descriptive and in the sense that threads belong to Forums. A discussion is too vague IMHO and can be a confusing term.

I disagree.

The term "thread" is a throwback to threaded view, which is from way back and no longer really used in forums.

I prefer topic, or at a push, discussion.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/thread-vs-discussion-vs-topic.2838/#post-41338
But not for Clip The Apex?

For us admin, we've got used to posts and threads. It's very hard not to use those terms. For people new to forums, maybe only familiar with YouTube and Facebook, the term Thread might be quite foreign, I think.

If discussions and messages mean the same thing as threads and posts, then it's not really a differentiation.
That's not what I meant.

xenForo | vBulletin
Discussions = Threads
Messages = Posts

What xenForo have basically done is re-name the areas so that it's "different" from vBulletin.

That's not what I meant.

xenForo | vBulletin
Discussions = Threads
Messages = Posts

What xenForo have basically done is re-name the areas so that it's "different" from vBulletin.
My point is that they haven't, though. Or the button would read Post New Disussion.
And by the way, I don't think decisions we're made to make Xenforo different to vbulletin. I think they were and are made because in their experience, that's the best way to do the job.

Top Bottom