1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 If threads are called discussions, why Post New Thread?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Stuart Wright, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

I like the idea of moving away from the terms threads and posts as discussions and messages are more user friendly IMO.
    However, we seem to be clinging to the notion of starting a new thread still with the Post New Thread button.
    It appears that the word Thread is used in quite a lot of phrases. It seems somewhat confusing that we would hang on to a legacy term and make life more difficult for new people than it needs to be. We have to explain what a thread is and that it's the same as a discussion.

I was wondering why it's still in Xenforo, and who has edited their phrases to change it to Discussion site wide.

Can we dispose of the term Thread?
    Digital Doctor and HWS like this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Discussions is a generic term that encompasses Threads, Conversations, etc. The route reflects /threads/ as well.
  3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I think the term Thread and Post are very easily understood by forum users.
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  4. Stuart Wright

By existing forum users, maybe, but people new to forums will think a post is something they get from the postman and a thread is what holds your pullover together.
    Akela, Dakis, HWS and 2 others like this.
  5. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see if renaming the New Thread button to New Discussion would increase the number of new, erm, lol - threads. :LOL:
    brucey likes this.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It is of course possible to rename the phrases and the routes should one wish to do so.
  7. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Perhaps for the first time user. But once they have successfully created a new Thread the term Thread is more descriptive and in the sense that threads belong to Forums. A discussion is too vague IMHO and can be a confusing term.
  8. Brogan

HWS and Tracy Perry like this.
  9. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

topic sounds better
    jadmperry likes this.
  10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I've personally rephrased discussions and messages to threads and posts.
    dehness likes this.
  11. Stuart Wright

But not for Clip The Apex?

For us admin, we've got used to posts and threads. It's very hard not to use those terms. For people new to forums, maybe only familiar with YouTube and Facebook, the term Thread might be quite foreign, I think.
  12. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

13. Brogan

I can't be bothered to rename all the phrases.
    jadmperry likes this.
  14. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I think they designed it as "discussion" in the first place to differentiate themselves (xenForo) from the other competitors (vBulletin for example).
    dehness likes this.
  15. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

If discussions and messages mean the same thing as threads and posts, then it's not really a differentiation.
  16. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Lexicology sucks. :rolleyes:
    Amaury likes this.
  17. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

Topic and Messages. We renamed it, because it is easier to understand for Newbies. And it is more true too. ;-)
  18. Stuart Wright

Did you do tons of phrase edits, then?
  19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

That's not what I meant.

xenForo | vBulletin
    Discussions = Threads
    Messages = Posts

What xenForo have basically done is re-name the areas so that it's "different" from vBulletin.
  20. Stuart Wright

My point is that they haven't, though. Or the button would read Post New Disussion.
    And by the way, I don't think decisions we're made to make Xenforo different to vbulletin. I think they were and are made because in their experience, that's the best way to do the job.
    CyclingTribe likes this.