If I decided to switch from VB 4.5.2 to XF - Some question

BasilFawlty

I know I am going to be upgrading or changing as VB4 is past end of life and no longer being actively supported. The question is whether to upgrade to VB5 or move to something else, like XF. With that in mind, I have some initial questions (Will probably have more)

1. Can VB4 data be easily migrated to XF?

2. If needed are professional migration services availabe (may not need, but just in case)

3. What happens to all existing VB links? (e.g., Google links etc...is there a provision for redirecting old links until Google re-indexes the new forum?)

4. Can I still have Custom Usergroups and assign username HTML markup?

5. Does XF have built-in paid subscription function that can link to PayPal? (like VB4 does) and will current subscriptions migrate over?

6. Can I have a custom registration page? I like to ask more than just name/ password. My current registration askes for location, what type of car they own (it is a car-related forum), etc.

7. If answer to #2 is yes, will previous paid subscription data migrate over?

8. Can I create custom pages with XF like I can with VB5? (Thisi is actually a very important consideration)

9. In general, if I were to migrate from my very large VB4 site to XF, what things can I expect to lose and not see migrated?

10. Are there any concerns about attachments or images attached to posts in current VB4 being lost upon moving to XF?

11. Will XF allow for Side Bar Data and is side bar collapsable by users (like it is in my VB4 site)

I know this is a lot of questions (and I'll likely have more) but I've been running a site for 20 years and making such a big more is a bit scary.

I used vb for 15+ years but I've also used mybb phpbb etc. Xenforo is a pleasure to use but like any software there is a learning curve then a comfort level. I really recommend reading the manual particularly the sections on usergroups and permissions. I did find those areas a challenge but I quickly learned how beautiful the design is.

You mentioned you have silver, gold, platinum levels. I do as well bronze, gold, platinum. The one thing you can't do in XF is stack membership which I absolutely needed. There is a mod for that if you need it.

It would be interesting to see what ithers are doing with this forum software.

My forum was converted from VB4 about 5 years ago and never looked back, you'll probably find some members whinge and moan, but do come round to it quite soon. Most enjoy the change - but make sure you have a nice FAQ section for them. And check your permissions very carefully after import, probably best to start over IMO using xenforo's recommended system of all members having registered as primary.

But also tell them there isn't much choice as VB4 is more or less EOL and VB5 is atrocious.

You've just taken your first step into a much better world.
I do hope so. What prompted my looking into XF was another forum I joined after I purchsed a new car. There was a XF forum for this particular car brand and, after participating as a member, I concluded that the user interface was much easier and more intuative than my VB4 install. As far as I'm concerned, ease of use for members is key!

Welcome to the board mate!

You will never regret migrating here. There are vast features available to enhance your work style. Surely you would find it really handy.

Also we are all available here to assist you anytime :)

Yes. Forums> Nodes>Add node>Select page option.
I understand I can create a Node and make it a page. What I really would like to do is NOT have the page displayed in the forum list, but rather have a link in the upper menu then will direct people to the page? So, for example, if I have a page called "Clubs" I would like that page to have a link in the upper main navigation menu but NOT be shown in the forums list.

I understand I can create a Node and make it a page. What I really would like to do is NOT have the page displayed in the forum list, but rather have a link in the upper menu then will direct people to the page? So, for example, if I have a page called "Clubs" I would like that page to have a link in the upper main navigation menu but NOT be shown in the forums list.
I use the public navagation for a number of things with conditions as well for groups.

Attachments

• page.webp
    page.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 3
As you are now licensed, you can post in the customer forums for support as support isn't proved in the pre-sales forum.

I did one better than trying the Demo - I bought the software and have it installed (for now just as a test). Thanks
So create your page node, and turn it off here:
"Display in the node list
If unselected, users will not see this node in the list. However, if the URL is known, it will still be accessible."

Top Bottom