If I decided to switch from VB 4.5.2 to XF - Some question

BasilFawlty

I know I am going to be upgrading or changing as VB4 is past end of life and no longer being actively supported. The question is whether to upgrade to VB5 or move to something else, like XF. With that in mind, I have some initial questions (Will probably have more)

1. Can VB4 data be easily migrated to XF?

2. If needed are professional migration services availabe (may not need, but just in case)

3. What happens to all existing VB links? (e.g., Google links etc...is there a provision for redirecting old links until Google re-indexes the new forum?)

4. Can I still have Custom Usergroups and assign username HTML markup?

5. Does XF have built-in paid subscription function that can link to PayPal? (like VB4 does) and will current subscriptions migrate over?

6. Can I have a custom registration page? I like to ask more than just name/ password. My current registration askes for location, what type of car they own (it is a car-related forum), etc.

7. If answer to #2 is yes, will previous paid subscription data migrate over?

8. Can I create custom pages with XF like I can with VB5? (Thisi is actually a very important consideration)

9. In general, if I were to migrate from my very large VB4 site to XF, what things can I expect to lose and not see migrated?

10. Are there any concerns about attachments or images attached to posts in current VB4 being lost upon moving to XF?

11. Will XF allow for Side Bar Data and is side bar collapsable by users (like it is in my VB4 site)

I know this is a lot of questions (and I'll likely have more) but I've been running a site for 20 years and making such a big more is a bit scary.

1. Can VB4 data be easily migrated to XF?
Yes, there is an importer available.

2. If needed are professional migration services availabe (may not need, but just in case)
From third parties, yes.

3. What happens to all existing VB links? (e.g., Google links etc...is there a provision for redirecting old links until Google re-indexes the new forum?)
There is a redirection add-on available.

4. Can I still have Custom Usergroups and assign username HTML markup?
Yes at the user group level.

5. Does XF have built-in paid subscription function that can link to PayPal? (like VB4 does) and will current subscriptions migrate over?
Yes but recurring subscriptions are not migrated over - members need to set them up again.

6. Can I have a custom registration page? I like to ask more than just name/ password. My current registration askes for location, what type of car they own (it is a car-related forum), etc.
Yes - custom user fields will do that.

7. If answer to #2 is yes, will previous paid subscription data migrate over?
No.

8. Can I create custom pages with XF like I can with VB5? (Thisi is actually a very important consideration)
Using page nodes, yes -- https://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/

9. In general, if I were to migrate from my very large VB4 site to XF, what things can I expect to lose and not see migrated?
All standard content will be imported.

10. Are there any concerns about attachments or images attached to posts in current VB4 being lost upon moving to XF?
No - attachments are imported.

11. Will XF allow for Side Bar Data and is side bar collapsable by users (like it is in my VB4 site)
Widgets can be used for sidebar content.
Some level of custom development or styling will be required to allow them to be collapsed.

I know this is a lot of questions (and I'll likely have more) but I've been running a site for 20 years and making such a big more is a bit scary.
Ask away.

Yes but recurring subscriptions are not migrated over - members need to set them up again.
This could be a big issue for me. I wonder if anyone else who has moved from VB4 to XF could chime in with how this was handled? I have four levels of subscriptions (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum), each being a unique user group with specific user benefits. Not all of them are annual recurring, but some of them are. Would their existing level transfer over?

This could be a big issue for me. I wonder if anyone else who has moved from VB4 to XF could chime in with how this was handled? I have four levels of subscriptions (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum), each being a unique user group with specific user benefits. Not all of them are annual recurring, but some of them are. Would their existing level transfer over?
I did this last year from vb4. I did not cancel any subs. I simply set up XF to handle all new ones and I do the old daily as they renew. to do this you’ll need to keep vb 4 running on a sub domain. That is a hassle in its self but it can be done. Next you need to redirect the post back from PayPal to the new vb location. That is done in the XF root dir in your .htaccess file.

If you have a lot of subs this may be impractical however it’s better than loosing 50+% of you paid users.

You can set all the expiry by hand but you will have to cancel and have them redo recurring.

@Slavik did our import and he has software that makes it possible to keep vB4 subscriptions with an add-on.

(y)

@Slavik did our import and he has software that makes it possible to keep vB4 subscriptions with an add-on.
I concur you're definitely better off hiring a pro for this. Whether it be Slavik or MySiteGuy. Between them they have done literally dozens of complex migrations. There's no obligation in conversation.

Thanks for the referal for the pros who do this. I've been messing with VBulletin and PHP/MySQL long enough that I couiuld probably muddle through the process, but it's good to know there are some folks who have some expertise in the process.

(y)
I tried to start a private conversation with him to inquire about possible help with a migration, but it says I don't have permission?

I'm going to try to keep "most" of my pre-sales questions in this thread. Here are a couple more:

1. VB4 allows members to set up "Groups" which are sort of off-forum discusssion areas for subjects that may not be of interest to the main forums.
Does XF allow for members to set up something similar to groups? (Not a deal breaker, but curious)

2. Similar question about Albums. I have members who have albums (of images). Do thos get transferred over with XF ?

3. Can I control the amount of "media" or picture space that a member can have on the forum based on their user group?

4. Is there control for the number of private messages a member can have based on user group?

I would absolutely double and triple check that all attachments survive the import. A forum I moderate recently did an import and lost all the attachments. Instead of re-doing the import immediately the owners alerted their tech team to fix it. Three months later still all the old attachments (>100k) are missing and I now doubt they will ever bea able to retrieve them.

This could be a big issue for me. I wonder if anyone else who has moved from VB4 to XF could chime in with how this was handled? I have four levels of subscriptions (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum), each being a unique user group with specific user benefits. Not all of them are annual recurring, but some of them are. Would their existing level transfer ove

I'm going to try to keep "most" of my pre-sales questions in this thread. Here are a couple more:

1. VB4 allows members to set up "Groups" which are sort of off-forum discusssion areas for subjects that may not be of interest to the main forums.
Does XF allow for members to set up something similar to groups? (Not a deal breaker, but curious)

2. Similar question about Albums. I have members who have albums (of images). Do thos get transferred over with XF ?

3. Can I control the amount of "media" or picture space that a member can have on the forum based on their user group?

4. Is there control for the number of private messages a member can have based on user group?
1) no but there is a plugin @Ozzy47
2) yes as I remember
3) yes
4) yes

Have you tried a fee demo? It really gives you a change to test things

1) no but there is a plugin @Ozzy47
2) yes as I remember
3) yes
4) yes

Have you tried a fee demo? It really gives you a change to test things
Trying it now. A lot of stuff is very diferent from VB so I'm sure I will still have questions. Speaking of questions. Is there a list of member forums here (a place where people can post links to their XenForo forums? It would be interesting to see what ithers are doing with this forum software.

Top Bottom