idea for announcements

Dmitriy

Hi,

What do you think of the idea to make announcements in front of the logo. Concentration ok. And frees space

example forum

xenforo.png

It's something really easy to do on your own forum, but not one I'd like to see as a standard feature. I like the Notices area where it is.

Your skins are ugly, you don't see me blatantly telling you that though...

In anycase, It would be nice to have options as to where we can put the notices. I would like the option to have a lightbox (modal box or whatever its latest name is) come up when someone comes to my forum.

In anycase, It would be nice to have options as to where we can put the notices. I would like the option to have a lightbox (modal box or whatever its latest name is) come up when someone comes to my forum.
You can tell me what you want breh idgaf.

It's still an ugly place to put announcements.

Uncalled for.

8thos is criticising a concept. You're being rude about something which 8thos puts a hell of a lot of work and effort into.

I also think it would be an ugly position to put Notices. You can, however, with relative ease, achieve this look with a simple template edit. If you like that look, go for it. I disagree that there needs to be options when the template system is flexible enough.

Not sure what you mean by "light box" or "modal box"... but for a completely different way of displaying notice type alerts, then check out my Notifications add-on.

Thanks. I think where xenforo's announcements are now are the best place. Before I jumped ship from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo the notices system was one of small things that impressed me the most. It makes a forum look more modern. I almost never used notices in vBulletin. The default vBulletin 4 notices were ugly. Was looking at the facebook skin I made for vBulletin and realized even though I customized the notice, they still don't look as good as xenforo's default notice system. Probably just need to add more CSS.

Thanks. I think where xenforo's announcements are now are the best place. Before I jumped ship from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo the notices system was one of small things that impressed me the most. It makes a forum look more modern. I almost never used notices in vBulletin. The default vBulletin 4 notices were ugly. Was looking at the facebook skin I made for vBulletin and realized even though I customized the notice, they still don't look as good as xenforo's default notice system. Probably just need to add more CSS.

I really do not like XF's notices in the least. They are fancy and "modern" but your limited with styling. Sure you can style them independently but if you have 2 notices on the same page with different styling one will end looking like a big turd. I would much rather have a notice with a ID that isn't built into a slider effect. So your left having your notices being the same height even if your second notice doesn't require that height.

Uncalled for.

8thos is criticising a concept. You're being rude about something which 8thos puts a hell of a lot of work and effort into.

I also think it would be an ugly position to put Notices. You can, however, with relative ease, achieve this look with a simple template edit. If you like that look, go for it. I disagree that there needs to be options when the template system is flexible enough.

Not sure what you mean by "light box" or "modal box"... but for a completely different way of displaying notice type alerts, then check out my Notifications add-on.

I don't call saying "Ugly" criticism...

I really do not like XF's notices in the least. They are fancy and "modern" but your limited with styling. Sure you can style them independently but if you have 2 notices on the same page with different styling one will end looking like a big turd. I would much rather have a notice with a ID that isn't built into a slider effect. So your left having your notices being the same height even if your second notice doesn't require that height.
True. Thankfully we can customize the style properties of notices.

It's easier to just create your own styling with CSS though, but most noobs won't know how to do that anyway.

I don't call saying "Ugly" criticism...
He didn't ask for criticism, he asked what we thought and the first word that came to mind was 'ugly'.

If you ask for an opinion, articulate what kind you want or else most people will just say what's on their mind.

He didn't ask for criticism, he asked what we thought and the first word that came to mind was 'ugly'.

If you ask for an opinion, articulate what kind you want or else most people will just say what's on their mind.

How about reading what Chris said and then replying to me. I didn't say he asked for criticism, Chris said you were giving it. :rolleyes:

I said from the start the notices came with design/styling flaws and referred them has "Glorified Marquees". They screwed with the sidebar toggle and a hundred other styling issues you get, one you mentioned with them with the heigh flaw which i also reported. They sort of fixed some of the issues, but meh they weren't up to the standard I was expecting them to be when first released.

Hi,

What do you think of the idea to make announcements in front of the logo. Concentration ok. And frees space

example forum

xenforo.png

Its different, personally I don't like it, but it would be a way to grab the attention of your members if it was realy important.

Top Bottom