icewinddalerp.com

Lawrence

Well, after a long time I finally got around to updating the site and installing the beta version on my icewinddale add-on. Although the site is not officially open to registrations, I will accept a few for beta testing in the near future.

Some features:
-If you do not create a character to role play with, you can not doing anything on the site. Admins and Super Moderators are not exempt from this.
- Once I am satisfied that there are no major issues with the character generator (especially with class and racial stats), you'll be able to level-up your character, and pick-pocket other members characters, etc.
- If a character dies, the member can not do anything on the forum with the exception of visiting a temple to get resurrected (if they have enough gold). Admins and Super Moderators can restore a members character to full health, kill it, take away earned experience and gold, or award experience and gold.
- Experience and gold is awarded when submitting a post. The algorithm used is not based on post length, but rather on post quality (my version of it), and a modifier is applied based on if the forum is in character only, out of character only, or both (welcome forum for example).
- When a member posts, an encounter may be triggered. The creature level is based by D&D rules, to be sure it is appropriate for a members character level. I have the encounter set to one round for now, and I may increase this later. Characters may take damage from the encounter, become poisoned, diseased, get gibbered, etc.
- Inventory management is drag and drop (HTML 5), and to read the items description is done with jquery (a fixed-in-place and modified version of the previewTooltip function).

The style is responsive (I know it needs more work), and needs to be optimized and images cached, but that is low on my to-do list. Below is two screen shots of a characters record, asyou won't be able to see them on the site. I took those on my dev site as I haven't created a character yet on my soon-to-be live site, linked here: Icewind Dale RP

Image1.webp Image2.webp

After making a simple request to staff to change the above link to reflect the forums new location, and after a week it's still not changed (thanks guys love you too), here is the new location Icewind Dale RP

Made a few changes to the style, most notably I added the sidebar back in, but kept it rather simple.

We also started our first play by post story, and I have to say it's been a few years since I did any writing and I am struggling with it. Hopefully as the story unfolds I'll start improving and get back to where I once was.

The role play story, as an example for what the site is all about, can be found here: Rise of the Goblins. We are both playing our characters at the same level shown in the post bit. It's a simple adventure to help shake the rust off.

Wow, this looks fantastic. I really love your character sheet.

Though I'm curious how your post reward algorithm determines quality. Do you mean quality in writing style?

Wow, that's quite impressive. I've seen RP forums of course but never something as detailed as yours, I imagine you did quite a bit of custom coding to accomplish that.

Wow, this looks fantastic. I really love your character sheet.

Though I'm curious how your post reward algorithm determines quality. Do you mean quality in writing style?

Thanks for the feedback. The experience and gold rewards uses a general quality algorithm to calculate a modifier of 0 to 1 that is used to calculate the reward. It took years of trial & error and tweaking to get it working the way I wanted it to. There is also a weight added in, that number is determined by the type of forum a member is posting in. IC forums have the highest weights applied while the OoC forums the lowest (some OoC forums are set to produce no experience, and only a bit of gold if any at all for making the post)

Wow, that's quite impressive. I've seen RP forums of course but never something as detailed as yours, I imagine you did quite a bit of custom coding to accomplish that.

Thanks, :) a lot of custom coding for sure, and a lot more to be added in over time. I'm hoping to get the equipment shops online next.

Thanks, :) I have to ask, why you joined the site if you are not going to role play? (a pet peeve of mine)

Lol don't know what you referring to, but I was trying to test the site as a member, you can delete my membership if you want, I don't mind. :)

Lol don't know what you referring to, but I was trying to test the site as a member, you can delete my membership if you want, I don't mind. :)

We don't delete anyone's membership, :) Not even spammers, those accounts will be used by the forum, if we actually get one. No spammers to date.

amazing job with the site, wish I could buy copy of the style, however amazing work all the same!

Thanks, :) A few people have contacted me for purchasing the style. It is something I am not considering at this time, as I want to keep the site unique. Also, I would need to optimize the CSS and as well get on to replacing the sprites with new ones made for a dark style, and those are pretty low on my to-do list as of now, so releasing it publicly won't be coming any time soon.

Thanks, :) A few people have contacted me for purchasing the style. It is something I am not considering at this time, as I want to keep the site unique. Also, I would need to optimize the CSS and as well get on to replacing the sprites with new ones made for a dark style, and those are pretty low on my to-do list as of now, so releasing it publicly won't be coming any time soon.

Awesome work all the same, seriously impressed. Any plans to release / sell your rpg system?

Updated the site to v1.1 of the role play add-on, and made a few style adjustments. Shops are now on-line, and members can level up to 30. Members can now manage their characters inventory (equip/un-equip/ground items).

Click an image in the shop to read the items description. I need to make more items, and will over time.

You can check it out here: Icewind Dale Role Play

Now, I just need active members...

I just moved the forum into the root, and added redirects to htaccess for "north-of-dragonspine", and also for the old-old one "ten-towns".

I was researching some names for new categories that fit the setting when I came across Dragonspine Mountains. I clicked the image, and as soon as I opened it I realized why the word dragonspine stuck with me for so long: it was from a series of games I played on my Amiga many many moons ago (Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pool of Radiance). They were developed by SSI, and were the best games I have ever played on a PC.

Anyway, as a result the URL is now much shorter and cleaner looking IMO, :)

Top Bottom