Ice Cream Sandwich

Rather use the iPhone any day. At least the OS doesnt have a ridiculous name like "Ice Cream Sandwich". Really? I'd feel like a complete idiot using that name in every day conversation. I can imagine it now.

Me: "This is my new android, it's running Ice Cream Sandwich!"
Friend: "What? Is it a phone or a foodstuff?"

iPhone, Apple, and iOS are much more polished, adult and overall better. You get what you pay for. You get apps which all work across every iOS device rather than a fractured ecosystem of multiple apps for the same thing.. You get a better product with superior support. I could go on, but I'm not an Apple fanboy by any measure of the term.

Mikey: "This is my new android, it's running Ice Cream Sandwich!"
Mikey: "Haha! What are you using ?"
Friend: "I'm using Apple's iPhone."
Mikey: "Haha! Is Apple a company or a fruit !"

FWIW, OS releases should be one word only. Dharma, Lion, Gingerbread.
Ice Cream Sandwich is too much.

Rather use the iPhone any day. At least the OS doesnt have a ridiculous name like "Ice Cream Sandwich". Really? I'd feel like a complete idiot using that name in every day conversation. I can imagine it now.

iPhone, Apple, and iOS are much more polished, adult and overall better. You get what you pay for. You get apps which all work across every iOS device rather than a fractured ecosystem of multiple apps for the same thing.. You get a better product with superior support. I could go on, but I'm not an Apple fanboy by any measure of the term.

Version numbers are tagged as memorable names not to be used very often. But just to give it a memorable identity. It becomes tradition as with Ubuntu releases and whatnot. I dont remember when did I use Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon. You can use the Term "Android" unless it is necessary to tell the exact version. I use Fedora (Fedora 15 - Lovelock) on my desktop, but, most of the time don't even remember that specific name. Because, I don't have to use that specific name very often. I just call it Fedora or Fedora 15. I really don't mind if they use MD5 hash as their name as long as it is memorable. :)

Yes, because the version name (Not the OS name) has a lot of impact on the use of the phone. You could just call it Android 4, ya know, like iOS4. I find the version names funny (As do many people). Than again the appeal of humor might be lost on you.

Please, iPhone has more fart/burp/bodily function apps than Android, and you dare to call it adult? And overall better... Maybe in your opinion, but I hated using my iPhone (Yeah, I had one), and I hated using my ex's iPhone when she had it.

Yes, the marketplace is a bit fractured but that really isn't an issue is it? Certain apps require tablet specific installs, some require phone specific installs... Quite honestly, not much to cry about.

And yes, you are an Apple fanboy, as you just used the same ridiculous arguments I always hear. "Its superior", "Its better", "Its more polished", yet you nitpick version names and the marketplace (Which offers many applications I find way more useful than iOS offerings).

Here, I'll show you how to critique an OS, you might learn something from it:

I dislike iOS because I really have no real control over my operating system without jail breaking it. Many things that are offered in Android are unavailable, or have just recently popped up with iOS5.

I detest the fact that I'm expected to use iTunes for everything, and that the iPhone is the most DRM locked down device I have ever seen. Being locked into using iTunes (Which is quite honestly the most worthless media player I have ever had the displeasure of using) is one of the main issues I will never use an iOS device again.

I dislike Apples attitude in dealing with design issues. The antenna issues after the iPhone4 launch is a perfect example of handling a situation badly. Their initial stance was to deny it (Like they do with all their issues), then to blame the consumer ("You're holding it wrong!!!11"), then to admit the flaw and to issue free cases, which really didn't solve the issue for several months.

I dislike the lack of customization of the iPhone. I rather have control over the look of how my screen looks or at least more than changing a wallpaper.

I do not like that 4G isn't offered on the iPhone.

I dislike the lack of a SD slot. 16gb-64gb really isn't that much space, especially at the price increase with each disk upgrade.

I dislike the keyboard for iOS, and much prefer Swype or keyboard offerings on Android.

I generally dislike the interface (There are some exceptions). Again, its more of a control thing. I dislike any lack of control over my property.

I'd spend more time figuring out things I dislike, but to really make a full list I'd have to play with an iOS device, and god help me if I do that again.

And yes, you are an Apple fanboy, as you just used the same ridiculous arguments I always hear. "Its superior", "Its better", "Its more polished", yet you nitpick version names and the marketplace (Which offers many applications I find way more useful than iOS offerings).

I personally feel that iOS is superior, however, I'm not a blind Apple fan-boy. From personal experiences, I have made such a determination. I feel both have their greater qualities. Until iOS5, I hated notifications on my iPhone, and wished I had the bar from Android. I still miss aspects of it like the icons in the actual bar up top to show what I had, but what is in iOS is the essentials I wanted. However, I feel that iOS is a little more user friendly than Android, unless you're a power user.

I personally feel that iOS is superior, however, I'm not a blind Apple fan-boy. From personal experiences, I have made such a determination. I feel both have their greater qualities. Until iOS5, I hated notifications on my iPhone, and wished I had the bar from Android. I still miss aspects of it like the icons in the actual bar up top to show what I had, but what is in iOS is the essentials I wanted. However, I feel that iOS is a little more user friendly than Android, unless you're a power user.
There were a few things I liked about iOS, and it is a bit more user friendly. Not that Android can't be changed to suit what you need done, which is the main reason I like it.

While it doesn't seem it, I'm pretty much platform agnostic, and will compare the different platforms to see what suits me best. If Apple changed things on iOS (This is ignoring business practices) I'd switch to iOS. If MeeGo ever got finished, I might possibly move to that if they had a solid fanbase, and nice phones.

Google offered Voice Actions before Siri, if they beef up something they already offered, and Apple files a lawsuit, that would be utterly ridiculous. They already upgraded a few things regarding voice, and they usually do every version.

As for the Nexus, don't think a price has been posted yet, but likely $200 or so on contract.

Nexus looks really cool can't wait for it!hope it won't disappoint! :D

I agree. There are many things about the Android phones that I do like. When I went to pick up my iPhone 4 yesterday, I was sooooooooorely tempted by the HTC Evo 3D.
The picture and colors on the screen are very easy on the eyes, flipping from app to app is smooth as silk, and there were a couple of other things that I were at least comparable, if not better, than the iPhone.

However, I am familiar with the iPhone, I know how it works, I know what to expect, and it is extremely reliable, so I stayed with it.
Not necessarily because it is superior, but because it is best for me.

Apple fangirl? Not necessarily. iPhone fangirl? ubetcha. (y)

I agree. There are many things about the Android phones that I do like. When I went to pick up my iPhone 4 yesterday, I was sooooooooorely tempted by the HTC Evo 3D.
The picture and colors on the screen are very easy on the eyes, flipping from app to app is smooth as silk, and there were a couple of other things that I were at least comparable, if not better, than the iPhone.

However, I am familiar with the iPhone, I know how it works, I know what to expect, and it is extremely reliable, so I stayed with it.
Not necessarily because it is superior, but because it is best for me.

Apple fangirl? Not necessarily. iPhone fangirl? ubetcha. (y)

Same thing happened to me but still it's been couples of years i have been hanging with iphone so had to pick one without re-thinking . One best thing about latest iphones is battery is pretty good lasts for a long hours .

This release is a great step forward, but I am with Mikey, personal preference lies with the Apple iOS.
I can't wait for the day that Apple goes 'oh crap, they're getting pretty damn close to where we are with our next release'. I personally still feel it's more like 'oh, haha, they're getting pretty close to where we were a few years ago, but unstable'.

This release is a great step forward, but I am with Mikey, personal preference lies with the Apple iOS.
I can't wait for the day that Apple goes 'oh crap, they're getting pretty damn close to where we are with our next release'. I personally still feel it's more like 'oh, haha, they're getting pretty close to where we were a few years ago, but unstable'.
Because Apples Notification system so isn't inspired from a jailbreak app that copied Android, right ;)?

I don't quite know what you mean by "where we were/are", but when it comes to features and customizeability, Android clearly outdoes iOS. Though when it comes to presentation, polish, stability, ease of use, (app) security, etc; I have to hand those categories to Apple. I use these OSes interchangeably quite often so to me it's like comparing Apples to Orange Chocolatebread Cinnamon Donuts. I guess I'll see when I've used the latest iteration by Google.

I'll tell you why I prefer the iPhone - integration.

My phone is not a standalone piece of technology. On my write right now is an iPod nano. I use it as a watch, but primarily, its because I have enabled the data feature on it, and it allows me to carry some critical data with me everywhere I go. I will never be without it.

Last week I was working at a customer site. Their SAN was a wiring nightmare. I was able to take a picture of the hellish mess and have another tech look at it instantly via iCloud. Meanwhile, I went back to my Macbook at my desk. He dropped a spreadsheet into my iCloud directory and I opened it up on my Macbook and made some changes to it to get it to the point where it could be implemented.

I grabbed my iPad and used it as a cut sheet to recable the SAN.

Meanwhile, I got a FaceTime request from my daughter at college. Tragic drama, big breakup with a guy she'd been going out with the almost two years. But it was too noisy in the data center, so I walked back to my desk and transferred the session to my Macbook.

And here I still now, doing the delivery doc for the client. All of the pictures, spreadsheets and such are accessible from my iMac.

This is what Android can't touch - the seamless, effortless integration of technology where these iDevices are nothing more than portal devices into the infrastructure Apple has built to support their vision.

Android may get there. Chrome may become a bonafide operating system with wide ranging application support. I think Google is probably better positioned to go up against Apple than Microsoft. I think they have better vision that Microsoft and they're gaining marketshare as Microsoft declines.

What remains to be seen to me is how the loss of Jobs affects Apple. He was the visionary, the difference maker.

I love strong competition in the marketplace. I want Apple being challenged by Android. I want Chrome to evolve into a mainstream OS. I want Microsoft to challenge MacOS. I want Linux to make them all sweat.

In 1991, when I bought my first steel encased cellphone brick, I couldn't envision today. In 1995, when I bought my first Palm Pilot, I had no idea who important these PDA functions would become.

At the end of the day, a smartphone is no different than backup software and here's what I tell my clients about how they should chose. It doesn't matter if it's IBM Tivoli TSM, Veritas Netbackup, or EMC Networker. They all do 90% of the required tasks exactly the same. The difference is in the 10%. Figure out what that 10% is where they differ and make the best judgement call about that set of features as it pertains to how you run your business. Don't get suckered by the marketing or you'll end up changing how you run your business because you chose the wrong 10%.

Smartphones? No different. It all comes dow to how you, as an individual, use it. There is no one-size fits all.

Top Bottom