Ice Cream Sandwich

.... Android Beam, which uses near field communication (NFC) to instantly share webpages, YouTube videos, maps, directions and apps by simply tapping two phones together.

Google Translate for Android: Conversation mode.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/exclusive-matias-duarte-ice-cream-sandwich-galaxy-nexus/

Interview with the head of user experience for Android (Previously worked at WebOS and Danger). Pretty indepth, and gives you an idea on things to come to the Android platform.

I also heard a rumor (before Siri was released) that they'll be beefing up the voice capabilities of Android, which makes sense, as one of the co-founders of Nuance (Original makers of Siri) works over at Google now.

I also heard a rumor (before Siri was released) that they'll be beefing up the voice capabilities of Android, which makes sense, as one of the co-founders of Nuance (Original makers of Siri) works over at Google now.

Awesome! More lawsuits... :cautious:

Btw, what's the price on the Galaxy Nexus?

Awesome! More lawsuits... :cautious:

Btw, what's the price on the Galaxy Nexus?
Google offered Voice Actions before Siri, if they beef up something they already offered, and Apple files a lawsuit, that would be utterly ridiculous. They already upgraded a few things regarding voice, and they usually do every version.

As for the Nexus, don't think a price has been posted yet, but likely $200 or so on contract.

It's as if they hit the reset button for Android with this release.

A lot has changed and been added in ICS. The UI looks a lot more polished than previous Android versions, and I didn't notice any lag issues in the videos I've seen (perhaps we now have GPU acceleration for the UI?). App switching and the flicking out of notifications, neat. The instant photo capturing looks nifty as well!

Looks promising, so far.

It's as if they hit the reset button for Android with this release.

A lot has changed and been added in ICS. The UI looks a lot more polished than previous Android versions, and I didn't notice any lag issues in the videos I've seen (perhaps we now have GPU acceleration for the UI?). App switching and the flicking out of notifications, neat. The instant photo capturing looks nifty as well!

Looks promising, so far.
Not sure, but they overhauled the UI, and I think they've made it a lot more optimized.

iPhone is way better :D:p

I can rock 4G, can you ;).

I'm thinking of moving off the iphone platform as I feel it's getting stale and the lack of customisation is killing me - the only thing I can customise on my iphone is the damn cover.

The new Android platform is slowly taking my interest, I played with the Sony S tab in the shop last week and it's a much better user experience than the ipad.

As for that Google translate video, it will be a disaster as over here in Japan, everyone uses google to translate signs and menus and it shows because it's an awful translate service lol. I think set phrases will be fine, but anything complicated will just not work - most of the time it can't even sort out the basic sentence structure.

But yeah, looking forward to see what else comes out from the Android camp, especially as Samsung are looking at a Galaxy SIII in May, so that maybe my time to switch over because I'm certainly not moving to an iphone 4s.

I'm thinking of moving off the iphone platform as I feel it's getting stale and the lack of customisation is killing me - the only thing I can customise on my iphone is the damn cover.

The new Android platform is slowly taking my interest, I played with the Sony S tab in the shop last week and it's a much better user experience than the ipad.

As for that Google translate video, it will be a disaster as over here in Japan, everyone uses google to translate signs and menus and it shows because it's an awful translate service lol. I think set phrases will be fine, but anything complicated will just not work - most of the time it can't even sort out the basic sentence structure.

But yeah, looking forward to see what else comes out from the Android camp, especially as Samsung are looking at a Galaxy SIII in May, so that maybe my time to switch over because I'm certainly not moving to an iphone 4s.

Jailbreak the iPhone and it's a brand new world :p

Haven't really liked any of the Samsung offerings to date, well I have but there's been well documented problems with GPS and WiFi. I'm holding off until the new year in hope of something dazzling from HTC

The Nexus has a higher pixel ratio, and will ship with ICS, the Samsung Galaxy S series will not (Unless its updated by that time, which it might be).

A lot of the new features require NFC and such, so its better to go with the Nexus (Don't think its carrier locked outside of the US).
Jailbreak the iPhone and it's a brand new world :p

You shouldn't have to jailbreak to customize minor things on your phone. Even a jailbroken iPhone is much more limited than a non-rooted Android.

does this mean I should possibly wait another month to try out a droid based phone?

The Droid Razr has a locked bootloader (Not sure about the Droid HD). Unless a new phone ships out thats better than the Samsung Galaxy, I'd get that just because of faster updates and better screen.

Haven't really liked any of the Samsung offerings to date, well I have but there's been well documented problems with GPS and WiFi. I'm holding off until the new year in hope of something dazzling from HTC

HTC has been lagging behind hardware wise the last year or so... Rather disappointing because they originally had the best phones.

The Droid Razr has a locked bootloader (Not sure about the Droid HD). Unless a new phone ships out thats better than the Samsung Galaxy, I'd get that just because of faster updates and better screen.

Thanks for this.. I have been trying to compare them and pick the best one to suit my needs.

Top Bottom