Ice Cream Sandwich

The Nexus has a higher pixel ratio, and will ship with ICS, the Samsung Galaxy S series will not (Unless its updated by that time, which it might be).

A lot of the new features require NFC and such, so its better to go with the Nexus (Don't think its carrier locked outside of the US).
OK, lots of Buzz words here - what is an ICS & NFC?

You shouldn't have to jailbreak to customize minor things on your phone. Even a jailbroken iPhone is much more limited than a non-rooted Android.
Exactly! Who wants to arse around jailbreaking things when its already available

Cheers!

I like the facial recognition login. I wish all of these FaceTime type apps would use a common API for interoperability. Definitely like the data usage manager. Every phone will without an unlimited data plan should have that.

ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich, just too lazy to write it out.
NFC = Near Field Communication (iirc you live in Japan, so you've probably have used it as NFC is much more common there than most places).

You usually don't have to root Android phones, though there are a few apps that require it (Mostly ones that increase the capabilities and require root). I'd only suggest rooting to someone who can troubleshoot any issues themselves.

ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich, just too lazy to write it out.
NFC = Near Field Communication (iirc you live in Japan, so you've probably have used it as NFC is much more common there than most places).

You usually don't have to root Android phones, though there are a few apps that require it (Mostly ones that increase the capabilities and require root). I'd only suggest rooting to someone who can troubleshoot any issues themselves.

Thanks man, yeah we have been using NFC here for years, paying at stores or drinks machines etc. TBH I always thought it wasn't adopted abroad just due to the fact having access to money via a device that will probably be stolen is generally a bad idea.

Based on that video, Android may be finally able to change my mind that the quality of the software isn't going down hill. I had Android 2.0 I believe when I first got my Droid, and by 2.3 I had more issues than I could count on a software level. I always felt the quality of new updates was going down hill with Android. I won't mention my comparisons and thoughts to iOS, because that really doesn't belong here. However, I was happy to rid my Droid for an iPhone based on annoyances with Android. I wouldn't mind testing this update out in the wild, but probably won't get the chance.

Thanks man, yeah we have been using NFC here for years, paying at stores or drinks machines etc. TBH I always thought it wasn't adopted abroad just due to the fact having access to money via a device that will probably be stolen is generally a bad idea.

Its offered in some places in the US, just not in many of them. Coke vending machines offer NFC afaik (At least some do), and in many grocery markets.

Theres also some security measures in place to make NFC safer.

Based on that video, Android may be finally able to change my mind that the quality of the software isn't going down hill. I had Android 2.0 I believe when I first got my Droid, and by 2.3 I had more issues than I could count on a software level. I always felt the quality of new updates was going down hill with Android. I won't mention my comparisons and thoughts to iOS, because that really doesn't belong here. However, I was happy to rid my Droid for an iPhone based on annoyances with Android. I wouldn't mind testing this update out in the wild, but probably won't get the chance.

Tbh, the Motorola Droid series for Ginger Bread and before was probably one of the worst lines of phones. The proprietary Motorola skin was laggy, and intrusive, and the specs weren't all that great. The battery didn't last long either.

HTC had the best phones for Gingerbread and before, and now Samsung has the better phones.

Its offered in some places in the US, just not in many of them. Coke vending machines offer NFC afaik (At least some do), and in many grocery markets.

Theres also some security measures in place to make NFC safer.

Tbh, the Motorola Droid series for Ginger Bread and before was probably one of the worst lines of phones. The proprietary Motorola skin was laggy, and intrusive, and the specs weren't all that great. The battery didn't last long either.

HTC had the best phones for Gingerbread and before, and now Samsung has the better phones.
I'm just stating my personal experience with teh software on the only android phone I've had. And it went down hill drastically.

I'm just stating my personal experience with teh software on the only android phone I've had. And it went down hill drastically.
Yeah, there were quite a few issues, but many of them weren't due to Android itself, but the changes manufacturers made. Also carriers tend to require things be added, not thinking of the impact on the battery (Whether its additional hardware, or if it was their bloatware).

More about what's new in Android 4.0 ICS.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm hoping the Transformer Prime will be shipping with ICS~

Already intending to buy one as they've fixed the few issues the original Transformer had.

After I discovered that I couldn't just drag and drop my music and files onto the SD card (or internal memory) of my iPhone without having that colossal horror called iTunes involved, I knew that the iPhone would never be for me. No Android device would be as annoying as dealing with iTunes. I kept an iPod for testing purposes and have been glad that I've never looked back.

My ex "upgraded" his iPhone 3Gs for a Samsung smartphone a couple of days ago. The thing's almost as big as a small tablet o_O

He took it back this morning and walked out with an iPhone 4, lol.

Top Bottom