IB SOLD

Maybe now i get the point. I want somehow to work for me for free. I buy the company he works on, i will see my bucks back in 5-10 years and in the mid time i decide what has to be implemented and what not. Not that stupid after all.
However if it was sold for 600M it wasn't that big (don't get me wrong: not that big relatively to a normal "corporation", that works on the real life. 600M on the internet is an amazing result ;))

Bit late for that. :(
It's a bit late for me to transfer. I've got a whole system set up around the software. I'll be moving it to XF in due time, if required, but XF needs the required modules, and as of current, they don't fit. I can only install it on the communities I've been working on and own.

vBulletin is going to be a very very small part of a $640m deal.
Is this further change of hands affecting you at all in terms of seeing vBulletin move again? Or are you finally managing to break ties with it? :p

Usually, former company employee goes and builds new company. Former company acquires new company. Happens all the time.

But you never know. Its up to Kier to sell to someone more capable. At this point of time, it is not a smart decision to be acquired by a bigger company. It needs to grow, the product needs to be proven.
It's up to Kier and Mike, I believe they both have equal roles in XenForo Ltd. :)

It's sad to see vBulletin change hands even more. It's going to affect a lot of customers and although it'll be good for XenForo, it's still quite frustrating to see the lack of care in what was a leading forum solution.

Is this further change of hands affecting you at all in terms of seeing vBulletin move again? Or are you finally managing to break ties with it? :p

It's up to Kier and Mike, I believe they both have equal roles in XenForo Ltd. :)

It's sad to see vBulletin change hands even more. It's going to affect a lot of customers and although it'll be good for XenForo, it's still quite frustrating to see the lack of care in what was a leading forum solution.
What about Ashley?

If that were to happen, I'm not sure how people would react towards him as well as Mike and Ashley. He's made it clear that some decisions that happened at vB were out of his control, even before IB, and what happened was something he couldn't change.

Being an owner from XF at the start and having a say in what happens with the product/company directly and what it will do, I can't imagine that he, as well as Mike and Ashley, would turn their backs on us like that. Cash out? Sure... but if they ever wanted to get back into managing a business/writing software they'd be facing an uphill battle as the internet doesn't forgive and forget so easily.

People are seeing XenForo as a safe haven right now with people they trust. It would be flat-out foolish to betray that.
Its a business.

Sometimes people make these things a bit too personal.
Some posts offering to help Kier and Mike by paying extra for their license or buying more licenses than they really need out of the kindness of their heart... are strange to me.
Not because of their spirit of giving or anything like that, but the personal way some of those posts are worded, its a little creepy lol.
I assume these would be the same people who would feel personally violated if Mike and Kier sold XF to another entity.

Its a business, fanboism with products is usually not a good thing, but fanboism with companies is seriously going over the edge.
Then again... tell that to Apple people.

Its a business.

Sometimes people make these things a bit too personal.
Some posts offering to help Kier and Mike by paying extra for their license or buying more licenses than they really need out of the kindness of their heart... are strange to me.
Not because of their spirit of giving or anything like that, but the personal way some of those posts are worded, its a little creepy lol.
I assume these would be the same people who would feel personally violated if Mike and Kier sold XF to another entity.

Its a business, fanboism with products is usually not a good thing, but fanboism with companies is seriously going over the edge.
Then again... tell that to Apple people.
Of course it's a business, I never said it wasn't. However while it is a business it's also very much a personal one. The people who develop the software and run the company aren't hiding behind random images for an avatar and using a generic XenForo Developer account leaving you with a guess as to who the heck it's from.

We know who Mike, Kier, and Ashley are, we see their faces in their avatars, they talk to us about normal* things and there's a greater sense of community and a much more personal feeling than you would traditionally find in a company. Going with that, it's no surprise we feel like we generally know more about the people behind the product than just way they do in the company, and with a strong product in front of them it's no surprise people would want to support them any way possible.

To simply say that "it's just a company" doesn't really capture what we have here compared to most other companies. It's no so black and white here, and that's why I said that if Mike, Kier, and Ashley decided to sell XenForo, it goes deeper than just the product being sold.

XenForo Limited is the only company where I have seen what one of the directors eats at dinner and his dirty feet.

That seems very personal to me.
This is more and more normal the past few years.
Small companies, started by young people, who have come of age during the internet boom, and are very social networking savvy = what you are talking about.

I guess the person who really got the ball rolling with this whole phenomena was MySpace Tom.
Other big companies before MySpace had executives who were "with the people"... but MySpace took it to a whole new level by injecting Tom into everyones profile on day one.

MySpace took it to a whole new level by injecting Tom into everyones profile on day one.

I haven't used MySpace in years mainly because like Facebook I have little interest in it, yes I'm a very unsociable timelord, but I do remember Tom, no feet and food there if I remember.

I've never seen it before and I never will again, hopefully.

What the hell are we talking about anyway? I forget now.

Do you mean you've seen the feet and food of another director at another company or that you haven't seen Kier's feet and grub?

Other company directors, other food, other feet. :(

* I was involved in managing 24/7 pirate radio stations in Ireland during the 80s, we had staff houses/flats, we were young, it was fun – but the food & feet were not – lol. :D

Top Bottom