I think the PC is on its way out

Status
Not open for further replies.
EQ, corporate computing begs to differ. As it goes, so goes the home if they wish to maintain the economy of scales. Refusal to adopt BYOD/VDI/SaaS/Cloud is going to be like clinging to the horse and buggy. It won't be possible.

People are far more adaptable than we give them credit, but only when forced. 25 years ago, you could go to the grocery story and it was perfectly acceptable and normal to pay by check. Try that today. I remember similar statements about checks and cash vs. debit cards and credit cards.

Everything follows the money, even the boundaries of our comfort zones. Understand that this will be a gradual, 20 year transition.

30 years go, people had analog, rotary phones. May resisted answering machines because "anyone could listen to their messages". Today, they have cell phones, voice mail and text. Those who refuse to change with technology become socially marginalized.

shaq-face.jpg

Nothing can compromise the fact that you will never get anyone in my family at any rate to pay someone to use a centralized computer to store pictures of family, legal documents, sentimental files....etc..nor will you see any of us(people I know) using those remote computers as the brain of a computer I have under my desk, under my car seat or anywhere else I manage to stuff one. I already use remote computing now...it is a LONG way to go until we even have the national infrastructure to handle that at a level where people will even consider paying for it.

Like I pointed out, bandwidth...I have a 68mbit dl and simply put I can not enjoy myself using a remote OS, it is only out of necessity for specific things that I do use one...and like I said I have the BEST connection you can get where I am. It simply cannot render fast enough to do anything that requires real time interaction. By that token, I can tell you that regardless what business geniuses that think this is a good idea they are overlooking a whole lot. For instance...most people I know, when I go to their house and I go to open a remote desktop I own...I absolutely freak because it is ridiculously horrible experience because their connection just can't handle it.

If they think that people are going to buy a dedicated device that is useless by itself, and also pay for a higher tier bandwidth plan just to have their computer showing a frame rate that reminds them of an old ibm compatible...they are absolutely insane.

In fact what about half the people in this country who own a computer, yet can't afford to keep their cable or internet service up some months simply because food is more important or simply don't have the internet. I guess the average person is just supposed to deal with it right? Never mind that they paid for their non computer, but now they can't use something that they own because some greedy people think it is wise to take the open and knowledge rich environment of a useful computer and turn it into 'playschools my first speak and spell'.

Forget that...if I have to log into the internet , to get to my desktop, to open another remote desktop, to open a shell to another server...well I will just cut all my online subscriptions, stop purchasing, stop donating, stop buying things online (digital and physical), I will not renew any more memberships, my server rentals or any other paid for online service that I use to aid whatever I do on a computer. In the past 12 months that would total about $19,000 for me. That is probably what will be absorbed by other online companies in losses just from me...this does not include the cost of the computers I have built in the past 12 months which is about 30 give or take with builds ranging from $500 to over $5000 for myself and others who I build for.

Like I said before ... the day that this happens is the day you hear me say ...'see yah when I see yah..I'm out', and I know many people are coming with me.

I do find myself moving data to folder on my hosting account for temporary storage until I can get home .. I do not have full time internet at home. I have fiber optic at work... :cool:

The day I upload to a "cloud" is the day they stop selling storage devices (of any type) to non-business users. Never gonna happen. As for Triple DES encryption in 20 years, christ, I would not trust my data to any "cloud" that used that level of encryption today.

Did I mention everyone here ... is likely exempt from this ongoing trend ?
Everyone giving personal accounts isn't relevant to the discussion.
Users in this thread are a non-random sample ! Biased !

I will never give up Personal Computers, myself.
My mom never wanted one. She wants email and ebay.

Deebs:
The day I upload to a "cloud" is the day they stop selling storage devices (of any type) to non-business users. Never gonna happen. As for Triple DES encryption in 20 years, christ, I would not trust my data to any "cloud" that used that level of encryption today.

Red = words my sister and mother don't know.

Did I mention everyone here ... is likely exempt from this ongoing trend ?
Everyone giving personal accounts isn't relevant to the discussion.
Users in this thread are a non-random sample ! Biased !

I will never give up Personal Computers, myself.
My mom never wanted one. She wants email and ebay.

Deebs:

Red = words my sister and mother don't know.
lul w/ the red words how come "Cloud" isn't colored twice? Or for that matter encryption? Just a thought.

The idea that the technology stragglers within the home consumer market will be enough to keep the PC market afloat is fatally flawed. The horse and buggy analogy is apt because once the masses had adopted the automobile, both infrastructure and industry was retooled to support a new mode of transportation. Similarly, IT infrastructure and the hardware manufacturers will adapt for new technology. Old tech won't be there to cling to because it won't be made any longer.

And its a good thing too. People don't back up their computers. Their data isn't safer on their PC than in a mature data center. Most users don't have a second computer to failover to when hardware fails, but a data center will. They don't have RAID devices with on-line spares, hardware that employs predictive failure analysis, disaster recovery or off-site backup vaulting. They don't have a plan or budget to keep software current or patched. The don't review US-CERT TCS Advisories. Many don't effective virus scan their computers or employ firewalls.

What this will ultimately bring is data center quality reliability, maturity, monitoring and management to the home user. Their data will be better protected than ever.

First of all, most people have one hard drive...and they don't know about backing up their data, because everyone is trying to sell them a piece of software to do it which they can't figure out how to use, instead of telling them to buy a second hard drive and drag and drop everything. Also since this is the home market...we don't NEED raid, on-line spares, vaulting or whatever other fancy word you can use.

At any rate the greedy people who are planning this are just going to ruin the market for other online merchants and services. Sorry but that is a hostile takeover and has nothing to do with anything other than a select few people pushing a piece of tech to make money regardless of the ramifications. It is grossly selfish and like I said you will see me fight it all the way. In fact a person I know face to face, will tell you me or anyone else who wants to argue that there is no way a cooperate network is more secure than your home network simply because of the nature of a cooperate network and it's accessibility. Implementing this will require every person with a computer to get a cert in networking just to ALMOST secure what is behind their router because they are required to remotely log in to get their data.

But yeah things like this are why mostly I seclude myself from people....this is why for the most part I feel like all people are greedy and selfish and I don't need to turn on my computer to be reminded of that...if it comes to that point I will just turn it off and reject it with all the other stupid ideas I hear of daily. Speaking of which I think
I need to go make a full scale model of the hindenburg and see if I have some hydrogen laying around

I don't get the greedy, selfish angle.

The device people will use that looks like a PC to them, will be a thin client that costs them less than $150. SaaS will mean the end user won't pay nearly as much for their software suites. The reason companies are doing this is because they can save up to 80% on the IT desktop costs and better protect their data. This won't cost the home user more, it will cost less. Otherwise, it will never happen. The impetus to change is lower expenses for greater benefit.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever upload all of my data to a remote server and use a virtual desktop.
As far as I am concerned: post of the year.

In addition to the privacy and security concerns, data can occasionally 'disappear' for a number of reasons on non-local storage.

Such a funny thread... why make a claim that the PC is dying but then not list even one reason why you think that.

Hmm, must of missed it then. I read the first two pages and couldn't find one post where the OP listed his reasoning...

after two weeks of having no pc and having to rely solely on an iphone i can say with complete authority that the pc is not on the way out. what a miserable couple of weeks that was. photoshop on an iphone? ftp on an iphone? development on an iphone? half-life on an iphone? audio recording/mixing on an iphone? even browsing forums on an iphone was a miserable experience. tapatalk made forums a bit more bearable, but sites like xenforo werent visited more than once due to the extreme crappiness of the experience.

I guess general people use laptops more. But the fact is desktops are MUCH more customizable and I'd go crazy without one.

No way do I go towards laptops or mac's (which you can't really customize unless you want apply ripping you off)

And if you hate paying for windows there is always ubuntu! :D

cant wait for googles hud glasses. Now thats the future... combined with googles driverless cars. you can bang a chick, talk to your co-workers via video glasses, and be going 150 on the highway...

lets be clear on our viewpoints.

webmasters make up less than .1% of total internet users. So we may love our pc's, but the general population isnt going to need one soon.

lets be clear on our viewpoints.

webmasters make up less than .1% of total internet users. So we may love our pc's, but the general population isnt going to need one soon.

You are contradicting yourself a bit there...

repeat this on a gaming forum and explain your viewpoint to gamers.....
check this out---
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
I tend to think these people would argue with you...and that is just steam and steam powered or supported games. Don't forget about the thousands of games that are NOT played online.. You are really missing a lot of viewpoints in your summation of the population not needing one.

What about machine shops who use regular ole computers to control cnc's or even an old centerless grinder that has been retrofitted with modern controls, and a pc acting as a brain of the control panel and countless other possibilities... do you really think manufacturing is going to not need their own computers or for that matter trust proprietary designs or schematics to a cloud. LOL a machine that costs 3 million dollars being run from a central server that they don't own and is not in the same building....I really laugh at the idea of this.

Besides those two 'segments' of users..there is tons of unaccounted for users of computers who simply would not go for this.

And then there is privacy....this will not change no matter how much technology does... people will still need computers of their own as long as they 'NEED' computers...period. How many people do you think support that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom