I think the PC is on its way out

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be a cold day in hell before I ever upload all of my data to a remote server and use a virtual desktop.

Exactly, If possession is 9/10 of the law who really owns the desktop, and for that matter what happens when my internet goes down?

I think PC market is gonna follow the same trend as digital camera's. Point-and-Shoot cameras are on the way out because of the advent of decent built-in cameras in smartphones; DSLR cameras are in tall demand despite their uber high prices. Think of future PC's as equivalents of Canon 5D Mark II and Sony Alpha 77 cameras. PC's will never die.

i think you miss the point...if my desktop is on a remote server that I don't have physical access to, and my internet connection fails, I have a dead terminal.
I read through some of the post.
I don't see myself ever completely going to a cloud setup, I'll always want a setup that is my own and preforms like I want.
I'm connected 24/7 as it is, but I don't do all my work via an internet connection. A large percentage of the work I do is via localhost.

Also I don't think "hard core gamers" will ever give up their rigs. :cool:

Its not really a matter of what a user wants to do or what a gamer wants. At the end of the day, its about profitability. When the corporate world fully adopts VDI because they retain control of the data and can reduce their IT overhead, then it is no longer profitable for the major computer companies to produce PCs. The home PC market is subsidized by corporate sales. If the quality of units sold is drastically reduced, then the price on PCs will increase, both in manufacturing and in cost to the end user.

The PC is the horse and buggy. Some will stubbornly cling to them until the bitter end, but the end game is already set.

Embrace the cloud now. Resistance is futile.

The PC is the horse and buggy. Some will stubbornly cling to them until the bitter end, but the end game is already set.
There are roughly 249,000 people in the U.S. still using the horse and buggy as their only means of transportation.

Amish_Buggy.webp

Amish family 'car' in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

Just keeping it real. :D

what did you assemble for yourself .. I am seriously looking at putting together killer server machine for 5-node peer-to-peer render farm

I built a computer that would do what I need/want which was gaming, designing, basic internet browsing, music/movie playing (in high quality), chatting, etc.

Heres what I got:
  • 8GB Ram
  • 2 TB HDD
  • Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz quad core processor
  • HD Radeon 6850 GPU with 1GB memory and already overclocked for me
  • Gigabyte motherboard
  • 800w power supply
  • nice case
  • keyboard
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
Cost me around ~$1,120.

The PC is no where near "on its way out", rather the technology is just developing. Think about it this way: When chips and parts get smaller then smaller computers are made to be more portable but in the end the high-end parts will always have to bigger as people code even more resource intensive applications that can not be run on a small chip. Basically what I am saying is that as things get smaller and better there will still be the bigger and better.

Sure it is. SaaS, Cloud Storage and VDI make it inevitable. In 20 years, there won't be such a thing as a personal computer. You'll have a keypad, mouse and display, but they'll merely be interface devices. They won't do the data processing or storage. No apps will run locally. Your data will be secured by triple DES encryption using your own private key. Even your data transfer stream will be encrypted and compressed. The trend is unstoppable. And its a good thing.

The Desktop Personal Computer era is definitely over.

A personal computer (PC) is any general-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and original sales price make it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator.

The future is: Cloud + devices.

Of course alot of the "hard core" computer users here will have PCs.
But your wife won't need it, nor will your mom.

I hope nobody in this thread saying the PC isn't dying is also wanting xenforo to release a mobile style !

Sorry but your cloud will rain and at the end of the day, it really is nothing...it is not tangible, people will not put money towards it as a replacement for a computer. The only people who think it is a good idea are power mongers and people who like stupid uses for otherwise useful tech. There is no redundancy for the end user if networks go down. Also...I am sorry...but until the whole country is wired for fiber it will not be a viable option and even then you WILL not be able to play any decent game over a virtual desktop nor do anything that requires as close to real time as possible.

That cloud crap is a waste and I WILL not use it. I am not a 'HARD core' user but I will not be able to use an essentially useless device to replace a desktop. In fact the only time I see the cloud in use is when pieces of crap are using it to attack my server. And as far as devices, nope...in my house we have 2 brand new ipads and 3 iphones and 2 ipods. Wanna guess how many of them get used? 2, both phones. To me the ipad is absolutely useless. it is almost as big as a laptop and on a laptop I can control what I use and actually do something useful , I like angry birds but it's not worth dumping a computer over. Look at the example already, apple chooses what you can install on your device, do you think they and other companies would lighten their grip on that if people accept it... no they will tighten their grip, then 10 years from now no one will know how to do anything other than swipe and touch and then we can all just be a bit stupider together...

So everyone that thinks this is good step in reality, go ahead and roll over and die. I will be fighting for logic. If it comes down to it being forced on me because some big companies have an agenda and throw money around to increase their profits....I will reject it, stop paying for internet, shut down my web-servers, and give away everything web related that I own and totally let everyone besmirch themselves who support giving up useability for cooperate gains while I learn how to build my own computer components from scratch, or maybe I will go back to what I was doing before getting into computers a couple years ago.

Basically as an analogy...thinking this is a good idea is to me equal to thinking that it is a good idea to contaminate all of the earths oxygen because one can just buy it compressed in a tank with a few companies controlling the compressors and distribution.

The Desktop Personal Computer era is definitely over.

I hope nobody in this thread saying the PC isn't dying is also wanting xenforo to release a mobile style !

As far as mobile devices as an example, it is ridiculous and not relevant, people use mobile devices when they are on the go, when they are home they use their computer. Mobility is not replacing computer users it is adding users to the pool at times when they normally would not be at a computer. Xenforo also doesn't need to release a mobile style, anyone who can manipulate css and html and has the time it would take could in fact make one. By the way I am working on my second style currently.

Ohh and as far as mothers and wives, well my mother says that she will not use a computer, do online shopping or support any product that requires the internet because HER files are not on HER computer in her home. I bought her an ipod and an ipad for Christmas and she tried them both once and uses neither. Why, it is too difficult to use it for anything that is not leisure for the average person. I also have a 3g ipad, I do not use it because I have a laptop and if I need to carry a device on me it has to do everything, from work to games. Wanna buy my my iThing?

As far as your last line DD , it is quite sectionalizing. It implies that you cant want a mobile style and want a pc. That is controlling logic. Some people look at webpages while they ride the train or bus to work or even at work when they should be working. What your implying is that because you CAN use a mobile style that you have no need for for a desktop. That is just a bit of ridiculousness I would say.

Anyways....as far as this cloud crap...lol , don't people know what happens with clouds....they reign. Go right ahead and support your internet based power brokers. :-/

Alright I am off to help some people before the clouds loom and I must disappear so I can stay dry. If the cloud becomes a replacement and you guys never see me again...consider this post my goodbye.

So far I think everyone is essentially right.
It really depends on how you define things.
To me the peak of personal computing was Windows 3.1.1 (maybe Windows 95).
Past that, a New Kid on the Block started to change everything.
The trend towards more decentralization of computing stopped, and a major trend towards centralized computing began again.
That kid was the Internet.

Whenever the time comes for the pc to die out, I'll pack enough of them in the closet to keep me going the rest of my life.

Kind of a cold dead fingers thing.....

fos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom