I Like 'Like'

I have already seen the possibilities since 'the likes' are live links back to user profiles where people can plant links.

I guess you have to understand the low life's that are 'Black Hat Spam-E-O's' to be a step ahead of them, they started exploiting user profile spamming with automation a good while back and this is just another method and tactic for those types to exploit.
If we followed that logic we'd end up never implementing any social features at all.

Not asking you to follow the logic, but you also must realize that forums are the number 1 target for Black Hat Spam-E-O's now days at the same time.

You could take the live links out of 'the likes' to eliminate the possibility that it can be exploited which it certainly can be at this time, user profile spamming is the hottest thing going for these idiots right now.

I 'like the live link' back to your user profile Brogan !!! :rolleyes:
What "live link"?

I honestly don't know why you're so obsessed with spammers.
They're really not as much a problem as you like to imagine they are, otherwise we'd be spending all of our time dealing with them, which we're not.

Likes are excellent and the integration with Alerts is what brings their usefulness to a new level.
Xenforo Beta has tried to use "First Post" likes as a measure of a thread's popularity.
Unfortunately participation in First Post liking is Low.
Once a thread gets onto "Page 2" ... First Post Like participation drops off dramatically.

Here is something that could improve Xenforo's First Post Likes.

Hmm, I guess I see the opposite effect of this decision. This could have been a great admin tool to gauge trending topics, images, users as a way of developing metrics for a community.
An admin tool may be something to investigate at some point. I simply want to avoid users soliciting likes in order to be able to compare their Likes stats with other users in a 'most liked users' list etc.

I have proved in this thread that the like system can be abused by users, I have liked every possible post in this thread so far.

Thank you
rolleyes.png
(smile abuse)

I just thought I'd say that although we essentially copied the functionality of 'Like' from Facebook, I now consider it to be a fundamental part of my forum experience. All too often I am reading through unread threads, and I want to add my appreciation for a post, either because it's said something useful, or amusing, or clever, or something I agree with... and the ability to do that with a single click is both extremely convenient and time-saving. And even though I've now accrued over 6,000 of the things, I still love to see that my posts have been 'Liked' by someone else.

Right now, we don't provide Like aggregation tools. You can't see (without add-ons) the most Liked post on the forum, nor can you see your own most Liked post etc., or the 10 most liked people etc. This has been a conscious decision, as I don't want to turn 'Like' into a competition, but can anyone else think of useful, socially engaging uses for 'Likes' ?
Kier I think you are absolutely 100% right here.

I shamefully confess I implemented a "Like" feature in vb3 and now vB4 (by modifying the "Thanks" hack which is linked into reputation) and it's quickly become a fundamental part of my forum's operation. Nobody actually uses traditional reputation anymore, they use "Like".

I have to credit that move entirely to XenForo.

In my defence, I do have a XenForo licence and one day my site will run on XenForo. Being heavily modified this will take a while, but despite my recent successful vb4 upgrade we will be on XF at some point (thought I'd clarify that one).

Top Bottom