I Like 'Like'

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
I just thought I'd say that although we essentially copied the functionality of 'Like' from Facebook, I now consider it to be a fundamental part of my forum experience. All too often I am reading through unread threads, and I want to add my appreciation for a post, either because it's said something useful, or amusing, or clever, or something I agree with... and the ability to do that with a single click is both extremely convenient and time-saving. And even though I've now accrued over 6,000 of the things, I still love to see that my posts have been 'Liked' by someone else.

Right now, we don't provide Like aggregation tools. You can't see (without add-ons) the most Liked post on the forum, nor can you see your own most Liked post etc., or the 10 most liked people etc. This has been a conscious decision, as I don't want to turn 'Like' into a competition, but can anyone else think of useful, socially engaging uses for 'Likes' ?

I've mentioned it before but being able to award trophies for likes given and received would be useful in my opinion.

Regarding most liked posts, this is obviously enabled on a per-forum basis for first message likes so they do have practical uses.
I can't help thinking that on certain forums, most liked posts would be a useful metric to expose.

I fully agree with everything you've said about Likes though.
They're just so addictive!

once those little red alerts start appearing... you are hooked! :D
It got me addicted once I saw "You won 1 trophy point" after one simple click from the red alerts.

There was this time I was at another forum which wasn't using XenForo forum software. I saw a post that I liked, but I found no like button,
confused.png

That's when I started to miss XenForo again, lol. ( if I award rep+, no one will see that I 'liked' that person's post )

Any developer can implement a "like" system. But the way xenforo have implemented it (in my books) is perfectly deployed. I noticed another software introduced it but it doesn't even come close to xenforo finely implemented system. For me, the like system plays a big part of this site (any site) that uses this feature and enhances the social aspect of a community by a factor of 100 which in my mind are lost on other products. On that note, when my hangover has passed (I know, self inflicted) :P I'll post some ideas, suggestions and hopefully a few mockups. :)

Some of us don't LIKE TO BE LIKED :mad:

I don't want to rain on the 'Like parade', but I feel in the end it will be exploited by spammers just like signature links are a reason to post in threads.

i'm addicted to those read square pop-up alerts :)

Maybe give 1 trophy point to the most Like post of the week (or the most Like post of the Month)... i don't think it would be perceived as competition... just my two cents....

Great Job xenForo!

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/12/09/loving_facebook_like
probably users will click on "Like" instead of writing their thoughts and comments into the Forums, not sure if this is counter-productive.....

what about search-results based on "Likes" ? Like e.g. Page-ranking based on Links, but search-results based on Likes......
http://www.redorbluedigital.com/blog/will-facebooks-like-button-change-google-search/

How about Facebook´s Copyright on the "Like" feature ? Possible legal risks ?

That is one of the downsides to the 'like' and 'thanks' modules.

One of the upsides is the fact that authors know who is reading the post or thread, I think I have seen modules that calculate the members 'who read this thread' in the past also.

I love the Like feature so much which is one of the many main reason I joined xenforo
but, there are to many missing part that could make this feature more useful
if there is page Where you can see most liked users, threads, or even pages for all time or the past 30 days
why you are risking competition while competition could be a good thing so users would provide more useful posts ?

I click on it on YouTube a lot. It's a bit different though, since it works more like a score for the comment. And a high score pushes your comment to the top of the page. Something similar could work for XF likes; somehow make the most liked posts more visible, or refer to them somewhere at the top or in the list of threads even. Just an idea.

Some of us don't LIKE TO BE LIKED :mad:

I don't want to rain on the 'Like parade', but I feel in the end it will be exploited by spammers just like signature links are a reason to post in threads.
And just how exactly do you figure that 'Like' is going to be exploited by spammers?

I have already seen the possibilities since 'the likes' are live links back to user profiles where people can plant links.

I guess you have to understand the low life's that are 'Black Hat Spam-E-O's' to be a step ahead of them, they started exploiting user profile spamming with automation a good while back and this is just another method and tactic for those types to exploit.

Top Bottom