I Like 'Like'

Its a really good feature that you've implemented, Kier. And no other developer could have implemented it better.

Its one thing to like a thread, but the other to like a post.
There are people like that on every forum though ;)
I agree. It happened with the reputation system, soo..... its more or less the same thing.

An admin tool may be something to investigate at some point. I simply want to avoid users soliciting likes in order to be able to compare their Likes stats with other users in a 'most liked users' list etc.

Says the man with 6000 :p

Who cares I say, people *will* always compare anyway, might as well have those tools etc, if it gets abused, we as admins of our own sites should be able to take care of it :)

It's a brilliant system and every forum I go on, I look for the "like" and realise it isn't there.

One can argue the idea comes from Facebook but its implementation on forums comes from XF.

People on vB still who are waiting to move to XF but need a "Like" - just install the Thanks hack and modify ALL the phrases to say "Like". It's not as good as the XF implementation but it makes a reasonable enough substitute.

Ahem....at the risk of sounding slightly sycophantic....the true test of a truly game changing feature in forums is when you implement something similar on a different platform (vB) and it totally changes the way users interact...that's true of "Like", for me at least.

You should only be able to 'like' half a million posts per day !!
redface.png

Wayyyy back when in 2002/03 we were on vB and our Co-Admin wrote a brilliant mod called "silver stars" it was basically exactly the same as the Likes system, in that each post had a link to add a "Silver Star" to that post, basically the same as a "Like" and they accumulated to become Gold stars after a certain amount (settable) The Gold Star graphic was displayed on the persons post info (although these days you would have it on the profile).

People REALLY wanted those Gold stars, and would post more and more Quality posts to try to get them, it wasn't abused, and had it been we would have taken appropriate action.... what it did do was encourage that quality posting that we all want on our forums!

I would love to see that sort of flexibility in the Likes System. You should be able to search on most liked, as they are usually the most interesting/funniest/thought provoking quality posts that is what we all want surely :)

That sounds like a great mod Kim.

I like how the silver stars convert into a gold star.
Maybe we should have 50 likes on one post turn into a Super Like :D

Yeah it was a really great mod, it was the only thing we missed when we moved to IPB, and he refused to rewrite it into IPB sadly.

hahahahahaha Super Like funny I like that :p

Perhaps something like 200 or 500 "likes" might equal 1 Love :p

I like every post in this thread, really..... :rolleyes:

To be honest, the dev's need to give forum admins the option of using this system, in addition to the option that if it is used they can turn off the live link back to user profiles.

Top Bottom