I Don't Care If Xenforo Mods Read PMs But...

If you acknowledge the attempt as failed and don't alter the initial post you have my respect. Not every joke flies but you are owning it.

The one short coming of talking to anyone on the internet (via text) is you can't hear their tone in their voice. I often think that is one of the large miscommunication problems online that causes some of the most craziest results (outcomes).

I've yet to figure out a solution to that (and I doubt anyone else has either). It's caused me a few issues more than once.

I don't know what ya'll r talking about. I'm not offended by anything in this thread. I'm only wtfffin da homo stuff lol

yeah, that happens to me alot too. there was a few times on here already, that i was actually being funny/sarcastic.. some took it seriously/ to heart and got bent over it. ruined it all, but shyt happens. it also happens to me in normal chats/messengers too. i have to often explain to them, its joking / sarcasm.. it's how i am in general. most that do know me personally, KNOW how i am, when i say things funny / sarcastic. and laugh their tails off. its a gamble on who's on receiving end of the net lol.
I understand. Who hasn't gotten lost in translation on the internet?

It can actually be a little annoying when you're trying to deliver your "thought" across and the meaning or emotion behind it is either completely lost or misunderstood for something that it's not.

cat-fn-166.webp

It's bound to happen on sites like these where people need help. Login credentials etc. So I wouldn't say silly. It's normal. Silly is not changing the pw after you get help and giving the same pw to more than one person.

For sake of transparency, I should also let it be known that I have indirectly skimmed people's PMs before... Not because I wanted to read anything that they had to say or cared about what user sent/received it. But in the past, I've dealt with people creating 1,500 accounts to send PM spam with (to get around the timeout between sending PMs), so a query against the PM database with the URL they were spamming was used to "search" for PMs.

Just to be clear, I've *never* read PMs just because I wanted to see what they said or what a particular user was saying (we get around 15,000 PMs/day passing through our system... I have better things to do than to read people's PMs). But I *have* queried for specific keywords against the whole PM database to find spammers.

For sake of transparency, I should also let it be known that I have indirectly skimmed people's PMs before... Not because I wanted to read anything that they had to say or cared about what user sent/received it. But in the past, I've dealt with people creating 1,500 accounts to send PM spam with (to get around the timeout between sending PMs), so a query against the PM database with the URL they were spamming was used to "search" for PMs.

Just to be clear, I've *never* read PMs just because I wanted to see what they said or what a particular user was saying (we get around 15,000 PMs/day passing through our system... I have better things to do than to read people's PMs). But I *have* queried for specific keywords against the whole PM database to find spammers.
Can you show us how to do that?

For spam-defense purposes of course.

I have private messages from my site disabled for noobs because PM spam is just annoying as thread and profile page spam.

I used to use automatic upgrades after a certain amount of posts and registration days for noobs to have pms.

But I don't do that anymore due to a threat worse than spam. Internet predators. Chicks on my site seem to attract weird stalkers.

Top Bottom