Add-on HTML5 based Arcade

Demon_skeith

I was wondering if anyone here knows or could code an addon for a HTML5 based arcade for Xenforo? Currently it appears that XF Arcade won't be supported anytime soon, with the maker stating they have no plans to support it for XF 2. I've also contacted DragonByte Tech to see if they had any plans on porting over an arcade from VB, but due to flash (which most arcade games are made) being phased out by HTML5, they don't have any plans either.

So just wondering if anyone here has any plans of possibly setting up a HTML5 based arcade in the near future? Or has knowledge of setting up a arcade on a domain of its own and bridging the forum to the arcade?

I would imagine most newer big addons like this would be probably won't happen until after xF2 is released. I'm just guessing but I can't see someone taking the time to code hundreds of thousands of lines of code to have to turn around and do it again when xF2 is right around the corner. I'm not a coder and I don't speak for them but this is just my opinion on the matter.

I didn't mean for it to be coded right now, just trying to see if there is any interest. Like you pointed out I'm looking at this being made for XF 2 since right now it seems there won't be a supported arcade (unless XF arcade somehow magically keeps working on the next version).

Anyone come up with something yet?

Surely so?

It'd be cool af if there was a drop-down tabs widget that we could add a bunch of budget/or oldskool games for members to mess around with while waiting for responses/killin' time.

Just thinking something like this might motivate some members to hang around a bit longer rather than the usual tap 'n gap behaviour.

If I went to a forum and found a mini/lite version of, say - C&C....😂 I probably wouldn't leave til clocking it as both GDI & NOD.

Anyone come up with something yet?

Surely so?

It'd be cool af if there was a drop-down tabs widget that we could add a bunch of budget/or oldskool games for members to mess around with while waiting for responses/killin' time.

Just thinking something like this might motivate some members to hang around a bit longer rather than the usual tap 'n gap behaviour.

If I went to a forum and found a mini/lite version of, say - C&C....😂 I probably wouldn't leave til clocking it as both GDI & NOD.

Afraid not, cost too much or people don't want to bother with it :(

Afraid not, cost too much or people don't want to bother with it :(
Bit of a shame really aye.

I keep finding discussions asking about how we could enhance the general forum experience such that would serve to improve our odds against the overwhelmingly dominant fast-food junk social media platforms.

Something like a mini-games widget might be a step in the right direction, especially considering the generally short attention spans & singular focal limitations presented by quite a lot of individuals, particularly long time fast-food junk SM consumers.

It seems reasonable that if we ever hope to challenge fast food SM, we'd need to provide a similarly "bright & shiney" means of attracting & maintaining general audiences attention.

Some of the members at my forum only ever show up to discuss/argue about very specific points within a specific topic, and they typically don't seem interested or bothered to engage anything else at all—not even other related aspects of the same topic.

Yet if I, or anyone else fails to engage with their discussions within the immediate few minutes after they've last posted, they apparently just give up and bounce.

😅Kinda annoying when ya spent 30 odd minutes hastily researching & typing out a meaningful response to them but then ya find out they've ditched before ya even had a fair chance to reply.

Lol, I've even resorted to dropping an initial reply to let them know I'll respond properly asap, and it has worked, though most of the time people are already long gone before I notice their posts to begin with.

So, that's part of why I think things like a mini-game widget might be somewhat beneficial for us, because it'd be 1 additional means for members to voluntarily occupy themselves while waiting, if they aren't interested in anything else.

Bit of a shame really aye.

I keep finding discussions asking about how we could enhance the general forum experience such that would serve to improve our odds against the overwhelmingly dominant fast-food junk social media platforms.

Something like a mini-games widget might be a step in the right direction, especially considering the generally short attention spans & singular focal limitations presented by quite a lot of individuals, particularly long time fast-food junk SM consumers.

It seems reasonable that if we ever hope to challenge fast food SM, we'd need to provide a similarly "bright & shiney" means of attracting & maintaining general audiences attention.

Some of the members at my forum only ever show up to discuss/argue about very specific points within a specific topic, and they typically don't seem interested or bothered to engage anything else at all—not even other related aspects of the same topic.

Yet if I, or anyone else fails to engage with their discussions within the immediate few minutes after they've last posted, they apparently just give up and bounce.

😅Kinda annoying when ya spent 30 odd minutes hastily researching & typing out a meaningful response to them but then ya find out they've ditched before ya even had a fair chance to reply.

Lol, I've even resorted to dropping an initial reply to let them know I'll respond properly asap, and it has worked, though most of the time people are already long gone before I notice their posts to begin with.

So, that's part of why I think things like a mini-game widget might be somewhat beneficial for us, because it'd be 1 additional means for members to voluntarily occupy themselves while waiting, if they aren't interested in anything else.

I know Mybb has single games you can load up, at least hangman. If something like that could be coded in, that be great.

I know Mybb has single games you can load up, at least hangman. If something like that could be coded in, that be great.
Hey may I ask what sort of feedback or relevant info-(*beyond this thread)-you might have gathered so far relating to this idea. Was anyone able to give you a potential cost estimate for developing something like this as a custom add-on?

(*also, sorry for not reacting to your posts. I would, except I'm apparently not allowed to use reactions, for reasons still unknown to me.)

Hey may I ask what sort of feedback or relevant info-(*beyond this thread)-you might have gathered so far relating to this idea. Was anyone able to give you a potential cost estimate for developing something like this as a custom add-on?

(*also, sorry for not reacting to your posts. I would, except I'm apparently not allowed to use reactions, for reasons still unknown to me.)

I had someone reach out, but wanted like 300 dollars per game to add to an arcade they would code, too rich for my blood.

I am liking the way you think here @Demon_skeith

Would it be beyond our current technological level to develop an add-on for nothing more than the most basic 2D games?

Back in the late '90s I bought a Gameboy Color along with several games cartridges, like Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow.

I'm sure the data requirements of these games would be less than most media content I up & download regularly nowadays.

Right now I could easily play any of them on this device by using a simple emulator app.

I'd be astonished if it were actually beyond any XF devs current ability to create an add-on enabling fora members the option to play even these budget old GBoy games in single player or multiplayer modes within any host fora instance.

Were such an add-on commercially available right now I would definitely purchase it.

Alas...😄apparently it would seem we're still mere technical cavemen/women and just haven't the capacity to enable simple '90s, or even '80s games on these technologically advanced fora.

Didn't we make it to the moon with the computer processing power of a basic calculator...

Top Bottom