How will 301 redirects be handled?

I don't think it won't.
It's a new forum package, you'd have to edit your .htaccess file to support vBulletin 301's to xenforo.

Search engines will update when old links go 404, and new links start showing up. It takes a tiny bit, but it won't hurt you much.

[edit] Update : #9

I'm not sure if I used the correct redirect number, I thought it was a 301.

Putting the redirect number aside for now. How will old links be redirected that come from other websites?

I don't think it won't.
It's a new forum package, you'd have to edit your .htaccess file to support vBulletin 301's to xenforo.

Search engines will update when old links go 404, and new links start showing up. It takes a tiny bit, but it won't hurt you much.
Aren't they providing a tool for default vB3 URLs?

They won't. Like I said.

showthread.php [ not found : 404 ]

And since the unique id from vBulletin isn't the same as unique ID from XenForo, I am not sure how a 301 perm redirect is going to work.

[edit] Update : #9

Ok
Major update!

I've kinda looked into it. And it seems it internally does handle it :)

WOOT

showthread.php?t=12
301 perm redirect by xenforo to
/threads/whatever-title.4454/

So answer, while first being wrong, is now: YES

We have said that we have a tool to 301 redirect the the standard vB(3) URLs. vBSEO URLs are trickier because of the varied formats.
My vB3 forum is /forum and I was planning for xF to be in a subdomain .forum.
Would that be a problem for the 301 tool? Or should I keep xF in the same forum as vB3 was?

It makes no difference where your vBulletin install was :)
Well, it sort of does. Obviously the URL has to be hit and that has to hit our script. Our script uses XF code, so that has to be available at the expected place.

If you considered it as moving your existing board and then converting (and handled that by redirecting all requests for the old location to the new location), then that will work without a problem.

Well, it sort of does. Obviously the URL has to be hit and that has to hit our script. Our script uses XF code, so that has to be available at the expected place.
True, though it wouldn't take a genius to be able to make the minor adjustments to the script to be able to direct them to look elsewhere for XenForo. Maybe we should make an import-301 config file.

If you considered it as moving your existing board and then converting (and handled that by redirecting all requests for the old location to the new location), then that will work without a problem.
You may need to explain that differently since I'm not following.
Can I place the XF 301 code in /forums and still have my XF forum in the subdomain .forum?

I'm still unclear as to how the old URLs are redirected. Is there a table that holds the redirect information? For example each row in the table has an old URL and new URL. If an incoming link is not found it searches this table and redirects if the old URL is found.

It's very simple:
  • Place a script that pretends to be vBulletin (showthread.php, forumdisplay.php etc.)
  • Within that script, initialize a very stripped-down XenForo instance
  • Use XenForo to query for the content ID that corresponds to the content ID that has been requested (old IDs are stored in the XenForo DB)
  • Fire a 301 redirect to the canonical URL of the XenForo content

Thank you Kier.

So my assumption was correct, there will be a table that will be used to store the old IDs and the corresponding new IDs. Is it safe to assume that if my forum has 100,000 threads, the lookup table would have to have 100,000 rows?

Top Bottom