How was XF's 'home page' created?

Do either of you know if anyone is using XF with a static front page or an intro page rather than using the forum or the portal as a home page?

This one threw me for a loop because the 'home' page lands on the forum page, at least so it looks like because when I click on the 'home' tab nothing happens adn it makes it look defective. Then when I click on the forum page it goes to another page, the actual forum page. I've seen this quite a bit with people's XF forums.

I like the blinking favicon though - tried to do that with my moving png file but I didn't know how to make upload it to make it move. Pretty cool.

I use a XenForo Page node :)

http://cliptheapex.com

Cool news page, Brogan!

But then what would happen to Xenporta if I did that? Ideally I'd have something similar to what XF has where the user has a choice as to where to go next rather than them seeing all of the tabs right off the bat.

This one threw me for a loop because the 'home' page lands on the forum page, at least so it looks like because when I click on the 'home' tab nothing happens adn it makes it look defective. Then when I click on the forum page it goes to another page, the actual forum page. I've seen this quite a bit with people's XF forums.

I like the blinking favicon though - tried to do that with my moving png file but I didn't know how to make upload it to make it move. Pretty cool.
Just for the record it is like that because what I made was just a temporary solution until I get the full site done which will be more like how XenForo does it. I am writing a basic tutorial about how to setup such a system for developers here http://xenforo.com/community/posts/309037/ while I do it. Then I will expand my stuff a lot with a nice beautiful site :) The current home page is probably what the products page will look like.

But then what would happen to Xenporta if I did that? Ideally I'd have something similar to what XF has where the user has a choice as to where to go next rather than them seeing all of the tabs right off the bat.

Yes I am curious about where Xenporta would go as well. But why not just use Xenporta as the home page? Any disadvantage to that? Also is it possible to have a page as the home page without any sidebars, then have the main page be xenporta? So when people log in they go to the Xenporta page? That way, new people visiting the site won't get confused and overwhelmed with information.

Currently my home page is the xen porta page but I want to create a home page with a metatag description and I can't do that with xen porta.

I too would like to know how to make a homa page like the one at www.xenforo.com

I wish someone could provide a simple step-by-step guide, and source code.

What about it do you want to recreate? AFAIK it's just a static HTML page that happens to use the XenForo API. But there is no content on the page that represents any special programming. I mean... you can just copy the source code of the page to recreate it.

Thanks Jake, I copied the source code and voila it was there. Now you mention use of "XenForo API". How does that work? For instance which parts use XenForo API, and how has the HTML been integrated with xenForo?

Someone mentioned that the homepage is within xenForo framework. Can you explain how? I took it as meaning that the source code of xenForo was modified to create the page .... or what exactly does it mean?

It probably uses the XenForo template system for the HTML. That would enable functionality that XenForo provides like checking to see if the user is logged in. But I don't think that page uses any of these functions so it might as well be a regular .html page.

More generally, this small addon provides a basic shell for outputting HTML within the XenForo layout and within the XenForo API thereby giving you access to features like user checking should you need it:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/kotomi-generic-script-bridge.122/

Top Bottom