1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to use the right color with color palette?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by typostudy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. typostudy

typostudy Member

I am trying to make a new style for my xenforo site. Mainly I want to change the color of the site. I want to use the blue as main color and gold. I went to Style Properties: Color Palette, and see there are many options such as @pageBackground, @faintTextColor...,

so my question is:
    how could I know which content uses the corresponding color property? @pageBackground is easy to know, it is for the color of pageBackground, but for others such as @primaryDarker and @primaryDark, how could I know where is using @primaryDarker? where is using @primaryDark? their colors are too similar. I almost can not tell the difference from the frontend?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Simplest way is to change them (one at a time) to a garish color that is not shown anywhere else and then browse and see what all it effects.

3. typostudy

typostudy Member

Thanks Tracy, I have tried your suggestions. But I still did not find the area that below color take effect, although I find them in the templates, but in front end I can not find the corresponding places.
    @tooltipBackground /inline_mod.css
    @inlineMod /inline_mod.css
    @secondaryMedium /help_smilies.css

4. Tracy Perry

Are you familiar with using Chrome Developer or the FireFox equivalent. Normally you can find those by that.
    There are several sections for the inline mod (if it's where I am thinking about)
    #InlineModOverlay .selectionControl (believe this was the green)
    #InlineModOverlay .actionControl (believe this was the red)
    #InlineModOverlay .SelectionCount (white text)
    #InlineModOverlay label (yellow text)

control the backgrounds and some of the text of the inline mod (in EXTRA.css).
    example.png

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  5. typostudy

typostudy Member

Thanks Tracy, got it.

6. Tracy Perry

Good deal.
    There are some additional ones that you can find (I was busy helping another site owner sort through a problem and had to do that quickly)... and have to go back to working on re-installing Windows XP on a cardio machine that I have to take to a local doctors office this morning so can't check them now.