XF 2.2 How to make usernames unique

pfar54

I launched my xenforo forum not too long ago. I've had on three occasions occasions I receive alerts asking to approve usernames that others have already. I would have figured this was a standard feature. I don't see anything in the US registration options setting to turn this on as a unique field.

Am I going crazy and this is a standard setting? If so, what are the admin alerts about that I am receiving?

If it is something I need to do, how can I modify the settings?

It's not possible for two persons to register with the same user name, and there is nothing built in which would produce an alert for that.

The built in user name change function won't allow a submission if the name is already in use.

What is the alert/message?

That's a just an entry in the moderator log, not an alert.

The entry explains why the account was rejected.
Why is the account rejected? There should be validation that checks it and tells the user the username is already taken. So do they submit and just not get registered?

Or is this handled like I mentioned above?

Why is the account rejected? There should be validation that checks it and tells the user the username is already taken. So do they submit and just not get registered?
In my experience it " checks it and tells the user the username is already taken."
Cannot register.
There is nothing in the moderator log.

The "this username has been taken..." text isn't default in the software. Given that this is a moderator log action, this really fits with the user being in the approval queue and the rejection being an explicit action.

If the username were taken, the user wouldn't be able to register an account in the first place -- username uniqueness is enforced both at the code and database level.

So if a person registers and the username is taken, are they made aware of it at that point? Is something shown so they know that they need to create an account with a different username? Or does it submit and go through like the following image shows below?

Essentially, relying on an admin/moderator to approve/deny it?

1619804829344.webp

That screenshot isn't showing that the username is taken. It's indicating that the registration hit records in StopForumSpam based on the username so they might be a spammer (though I would guess this is a false positive).

Top Bottom