XF 1.2 How to make a dropdown of all nodes, like on https://forums.digitalpoint.com/ ?

It's a little more complicated than a "styling" question... for example permissions have to be taken into account (you don't want users to be able to see stuff they can't normally see).

And it gets *way* more complicated when you realize that the navigation thing isn't it's real purpose... it was just an accidental nice bonus. It's *true* purpose is a drop-zone for drag and drop threads (for mods/admins).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
In what way?

From what I can see it is functionally identical, minus a difference in styling which is just CSS.
Jake,
Would be really great if you can provide some kind of instructions on how we can use your Node as Tabs addon to create a generic menu.

For example, what I'm trying to do as a simple task is to create a Tab that has 2 children which are both node category.

Goal: Create a tab called My Tab which has Node A and Node B as children. When I hover over Node A, it will show it children (10 forums on that category). Same when I hover Node B.

_____My Tab_______
Node A Node B
Child A1 Child B1
Child A2 Child B2
Child A10 Child B10

Right now, I don't know how to create a blank tab that called My Tab and assign those nodes as children.

Jake,
Would be really great if you can provide some kind of instructions on how we can use your Node as Tabs addon to create a generic menu.

For example, what I'm trying to do as a simple task is to create a Tab that has 2 children which are both node category.

Goal: Create a tab called My Tab which has Node A and Node B as children. When I hover over Node A, it will show it children (10 forums on that category). Same when I hover Node B.

_____My Tab_______
Node A Node B
Child A1 Child B1
Child A2 Child B2
Child A10 Child B10

Right now, I don't know how to create a blank tab that called My Tab and assign those nodes as children.

You would represent that in your node structure. Put both categories under a common parent node, then make that parent node into a tab. Simple.

The Define Root Node option is a notable exception. Since there is no root node per se, that configurable option allows you to define a root node for the purpose of creating a tab. The selected root node will then pull in the entire node tree for the purpose of child links.

Ideally you should represent everything in your node structure. There are limited options for manual assignments and secondary links, but you lose some power by doing this. Tab selection can be "assigned" using the Assign To Existing Tab option, but this assignment only controls tab selection. Secondary nav links must be added to the tab manually, and in doing so you can no longer take advantage of the multi-level child links which this addon generates within a tab's own node structure. Such manual assignments are really intended for assigning nodes to non-node tabs. It is kind of redundant to assign nodes to node tabs when you can already represent this using your node structure. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

It's a little more complicated than a "styling" question... for example permissions have to be taken into account (you don't want users to be able to see stuff they can't normally see).

And it gets *way* more complicated when you realize that the navigation thing isn't it's real purpose... it was just an accidental nice bonus. It's *true* purpose is a drop-zone for drag and drop threads (for mods/admins).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I don't even have a forum listing anymore. That drag and drop would be really convenient.

Top Bottom