1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 How to make a dropdown of all nodes, like on https://forums.digitalpoint.com/ ?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by jacko, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jacko

jacko Active Member

Jarod, Digital Doctor and dan_mail like this.
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I love that dropdown.
    :)

3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

It's a little more complicated than a "styling" question... for example permissions have to be taken into account (you don't want users to be able to see stuff they can't normally see).

And it gets *way* more complicated when you realize that the navigation thing isn't it's real purpose... it was just an accidental nice bonus. It's *true* purpose is a drop-zone for drag and drop threads (for mods/admins).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    maszd, Sage Knight, jacko and 2 others like this.
  4. zooki

zooki Active Member

:eek: is this going to be shared to the general folk? :)

5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Someday probably... just not sure when I'll have the time to work on making something installable.

Alien, Jarod, jacko and 1 other person like this.
  6. jacko

jacko Active Member

that would be truly amazing
    (y)

7. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

8. jacko

jacko Active Member

9. Jake Bunce

In what way?

From what I can see it is functionally identical, minus a difference in styling which is just CSS.

Bram likes this.
  10. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Jake,
    Would be really great if you can provide some kind of instructions on how we can use your Node as Tabs addon to create a generic menu.

For example, what I'm trying to do as a simple task is to create a Tab that has 2 children which are both node category.

Goal: Create a tab called My Tab which has Node A and Node B as children. When I hover over Node A, it will show it children (10 forums on that category). Same when I hover Node B.

_____My Tab_______
    Node A Node B
    Child A1 Child B1
    Child A2 Child B2
    Child A10 Child B10

Right now, I don't know how to create a blank tab that called My Tab and assign those nodes as children.

11. Jake Bunce

You would represent that in your node structure. Put both categories under a common parent node, then make that parent node into a tab. Simple.

The Define Root Node option is a notable exception. Since there is no root node per se, that configurable option allows you to define a root node for the purpose of creating a tab. The selected root node will then pull in the entire node tree for the purpose of child links.

Ideally you should represent everything in your node structure. There are limited options for manual assignments and secondary links, but you lose some power by doing this. Tab selection can be "assigned" using the Assign To Existing Tab option, but this assignment only controls tab selection. Secondary nav links must be added to the tab manually, and in doing so you can no longer take advantage of the multi-level child links which this addon generates within a tab's own node structure. Such manual assignments are really intended for assigning nodes to non-node tabs. It is kind of redundant to assign nodes to node tabs when you can already represent this using your node structure. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

12. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Those categories are both under root so it doesn't sound like I can make a pseudo tab and have those 2 categories as child?

13. jacko

jacko Active Member

It seems impossible to make "forum" tab to do dropdown of all categories and forums using this addon.

14. jacko

jacko Active Member

I did this: http://dzwiek.org/ (but with an additional first tab)
    Now, I am terrible with CSS. Any directions how could I do columns for categories?

15. Jake Bunce

Put both categories under a common parent node, then make that parent node into a tab.

16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I don't even have a forum listing anymore. That drag and drop would be really convenient.

17. Jake Bunce

Upon additional consideration, this really requires HTML changes. I may add a configurable option for this. In the meantime I will try to come up with a template hack for you to use.

Alien and Andy.N like this.
  18. Jake Bunce

It's not a simple template hack. It needs to be part of a full update. I have it working right now. I will release an update in the next couple days.

Jarod, jacko, HenrikHansen and 2 others like this.
  19. jacko

jacko Active Member

Wonderful!
    I didn't realize you were the author of "Nodes As Tabs". Fantastic job!

20. Jake Bunce

Ark Royal and The Forum Heroes like this.