1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 How to have same look for categories under a forum?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Bartholomeus, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

I want to have the same look for categories when i create a category under a forum. I will explain better.

When i create a category in the forum homepage, i obtain this:
    http://i.imgur.com/9l9QMHp.png

But if i create a category under a forum, it looks like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/88rYvVn.png

There a way to have the same look when i create a category under a forum?

2. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

ngtrian likes this.
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

What you show is not a category... it's a node. Not quite understanding what you want to do.
    The flow goes like this
    Catetory
    -----Node
    -----Node
    -------Node
    Category
    -----Node

Categories are just a container for (usually) similar node topics.

You can also have a Category defined under an actual node (forum) itself also.

4. Stacy Enco

Stacy Enco Member

not quite sure what you trying to achieve here.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Just to clear up any confusion, a category is a node.
    As are forums, pages and link forums.

http://xenforo.com/help/nodes/

6. Tracy Perry

Agreed... but you can't say

Node
    ----Node
    ----Node
    -----Node

and understand that some of those would be categories. In the example I gave they are separate entities. In the image he related what he was referring to as "Categories" are forum nodes... not Category nodes. o_O

Node what I mean Vern? (Pun on movie - albeit a moronic movie - lexicon meant). :D

7. Stacy Enco

Stacy Enco Member

are u picking on brogan? >.<

8. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

No, there are category node.

That's my test forum: http://ks3272374.kimsufi.com/testing/

I give you an example...if i want to organize all my forums, i use categories to separate them in home.

Now i want to categorize my subforums in categories like in homepage, but i can't because if i create a category under a forum, it looks like a forum node, not a category node.

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand what i mean...

9. Tracy Perry

Think I understand what you mean now.
    They are sub-categories. Hmmm... will install a test site and see how they style. I've honestly never done that before.

Markos likes this.
  10. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Basically I think the op is asking how to have a sub heading in forum level 2...I messed around a bit but it will require some template edits and some css trickery.

11. Stacy Enco

Stacy Enco Member

not hard read what brogan posted once you create a catagory, you can make some nodes (forums) to make subforums make child forums, also experiment with the siblings xenforo uses a great system so experiment with some things.

12. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

Have you tried?

Ok but with siblings and subforums i can't see the number of discussions/post and the last poster...what i want it's to have the standard system. With subforums i can't have that...

Unfortunately i'm not an expert coder. :-(

13. Tracy Perry

Haven't had time lately. Been busy moving my forums around from two VPS's onto individual VPS's.

14. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

ok no problem!

do you think that will require an addon or simply a css/template modification? @Chris D @Sheldon i know that you are expert in template modification, do you have an idea to do that? I would pay to have this feature in my forum, is very important.

15. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

This example is exactly what i want! There are categories under other categories, but if you, this is the same category layout! How i can obtain that? If i try to create a category under a category, it looks very different...

16. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

If you see here, if i try to create a category under a category, the forums under the "sub-category" are not viewable directly...that's my problem. :/

17. Tracy Perry

It looks like he's modified some templates for sure. I don't get much into modding the templates as I usually get a style that I like and use what it utilizes. Have you thought about joining his site and starting a conversation with him to see if he will share?

18. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

If i can know the member that own this website...

19. Tracy Perry

Fix94 is a global mod over there (he's online now) and can probably tell you. I'm sure once you are a member you can view the members list and find who is shown as Staff/Administrator.

20. Bartholomeus

Bartholomeus New Member

I will try to contact the admins, i'm a little surprised that this is not the "default" scenario for categories...hope to find the solution soon.