XF 1.4 How to get rid of the [New Profile Posts] Tab on New Posts

Digital Doctor

With the addition of the New Profile Posts tab ...
upload_2014-8-6_8-15-47.webp
More users will will see Profile posts.
And Read them.
And post their own.

Some sites will like this.
Some will not.

You can see the effect happening here at Xenforo.com already.

As an admin, you might want to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab before it gets popular.

Anyone know how to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab ? And replace it with a [New Resources] tab ?

==================================

Update:
To Remove the [New Profile Posts] Tab.

Solution 1:
Code:
a[href="find-new/profile-posts"]{display:none!important;}
Just add that to your extra.css so that after you've disabled all permissions the tabs related to finding new profile posts go away. Most browsers support this excluding IE 6, but who gives a damn about that. [source]

Solution 2:
Add this to extra.css
Code:
.find_new_posts_none .tabs li:last-child , .find_new_posts .tabs li:last-child {display:none;}

Last edited:
You could hide it if i read and understood correctly.

Code:
.find_new_posts_none .tabs li:last-child , .find_new_posts .tabs li:last-child {display:none;}

View attachment 79850
I didn't use this method because if you're using an addon that adds a new tab (ie. Xen Media Gallery) at the end then that one gets hidden instead. @Digital Doctor you can use either, but mine would be addon safe since it's a URL match as opposed to a child-based selector.

My first reaction when I saw the low-quality "New Profile Posts" on XF's forum index was, "Yuck, I hope that doesn't show up when I upgrade."

Sure enough it's there; out of a few hundred users there have been a few low quality profile posts the last 3 years. I do not want to highlight this garbage, but it's easy enough to get rid of in the forum index options by setting the # of new profile posts to zero.

The "New Profile Posts" tab is another matter. Search engines use XF's "New Posts" tab to find and index new content. Having this low-quality content suddenly appear on par with "New Posts" is not likely to help SEO. It might not hurt (since "New Posts" appears first by default) but I'm not going to wait to find out.

upload_2014-8-17_11-16-14.webp

With the new super convenient "Update your Status" ... people communicate to each other through their status and it makes no sense to everyone else.

Reminder: updating your status is a profile post in Xenforo.

It seems that this ...
upload_2014-8-17_11-19-12.webp
can easily become a bad version of Taigachat.
Suggestion: Get Taigachat ! It's really good.

The latest easy to access "Update your status" encourages people to "Talk" to each other through the Shoutbox. Newbies ... will post to the shoutbox (ahem: status update) not knowing it's a permanent part of their Profile.

Maybe rename the "New Profile Posts" to "New Profile Posts / Shoutbox" ?

Better yet ... you may want to remove Profile Posts entirely to encourage people to use the forum.

With the new super convenient "Update your Status" ... people communicate to each other through their status and it makes no sense to everyone else.

Reminder: updating your status is a profile post in Xenforo
All of that in your screenshot makes perfect sense to me. They are all separate statuses. It's no different to what I've seen on Facebook.

It's all about status !
status.status.status.webp

People already had "1 hover access" to updating their status. Now people can update their status from the forumhome page.

Like hovering over their name wasn't convenient enough !

I see no problem with the added convenience.

I agree - I've seen too many other forums complain that Facebook and Twitter have taken their userbase. I'm loving the New Profile Posts page precisely because it may allow me to steal users from Facebook. :)

And, yes, I do want quality discussions on my forums, hence why I've never supported a chat option.

But I'm open to any tools that will help me compete with social media, an area that forum software has - traditionally - been painfully slow to react to, other than add buttons.

I updated another live forum to Beta 3 and was prepared to get rid of the profile posts but decided not to. I ended up just deleting about a third of them, all the ones involving banned members and sociopaths accusing others of being sociopaths (lot of overlap between the two groups :) ). Overall quality of the remaining profile posts on this site is nothing to write home about but much better than the other site, will just keep an eye on them.

I really would like to see an option to get profile posts off the "New Posts" page. They're not going to be suitable for every site.

Top Bottom