XF 1.4 How to get rid of the [New Profile Posts] Tab on New Posts

Digital Doctor

With the addition of the New Profile Posts tab ...
upload_2014-8-6_8-15-47.webp
More users will will see Profile posts.
And Read them.
And post their own.

Some sites will like this.
Some will not.

You can see the effect happening here at Xenforo.com already.

As an admin, you might want to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab before it gets popular.

Anyone know how to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab ? And replace it with a [New Resources] tab ?

==================================

Update:
To Remove the [New Profile Posts] Tab.

Solution 1:
Code:
a[href="find-new/profile-posts"]{display:none!important;}
Just add that to your extra.css so that after you've disabled all permissions the tabs related to finding new profile posts go away. Most browsers support this excluding IE 6, but who gives a damn about that. [source]

Solution 2:
Add this to extra.css
Code:
.find_new_posts_none .tabs li:last-child , .find_new_posts .tabs li:last-child {display:none;}

Last edited:
View attachment 79797

This list should only have MAX one entry per member.
Otherwise people will flood it.
Is this posted in the suggestions forum yet? It will be good if there is a config to choose between a list of flat recent profile posts or a list of recent profile posts from unique users in the sidebar. Under new profile posts tab it is OK to have a flat list. :)

And this is a situation where you take that ability away from your member. It's not XenForo's dev's jobs to moderate your users. If you don't want the sidebar, they let you take it away. If you have members that do crappy things with certain permissions, revoke the permissions. If you don't want profile posts to be a part of your site, remove the permissions.

Stop being ridiculous.

@Daniel Hood

There are lots of sites where Profile Posts are not useful / wanted / appropriate.
Everything was fine until 1.4 ... because nobody used them, including here at xenforo.com
No one used them because the feature was buried.

1.4 makes profile posting very prominent.
as we have seen on xenforo.com

Disabling profile posts isn't ridiculous.

IMO

And this is a situation where you take that ability away from your member. It's not XenForo's dev's jobs to moderate your users. If you don't want the sidebar, they let you take it away. If you have members that do crappy things with certain permissions, revoke the permissions. If you don't want profile posts to be a part of your site, remove the permissions.

Stop being ridiculous.
Moderation is a powerful thing and an answer to many problems indeed, but it takes time and effort. If software can help to ease the challenges to some extent, it should. Are you suggesting that we should never suggest anything and and keep our mouth shut because we can moderate? :)

I am sorry about those duplicate status updates, which I have deleted now. I had posted them to take a snapshot for a suggestion thread I created.

@Daniel Hood

There are lots of sites where Profile Posts are not useful / wanted / appropriate.
Everything was fine until 1.4 ... because nobody used them, including here at xenforo.com
No one used them because the feature was buried.

1.4 makes profile posting very prominent.
as we have seen on xenforo.com

Disabling profile posts isn't ridiculous.

IMO

And you have that ability. Go ahead and disable them. There's permissions that let you do that. Edit your users group to use "Never" for profile posts, and you're good to go.

Moderation is a powerful thing and an answer to many problems indeed, but it takes time and effort. If software can help to ease the challenges to some extent, it should. Are you suggesting that we should never suggest anything and and keep our mouth shut because we can moderate? :)

I am sorry about those duplicate status updates, which I have deleted now. I had posted them to take a snapshot for a suggestion thread I created.

This suggestion does nothing to make profile moderation easier or remove any of the challenges. This tab does not help with any of the "challenges".

Yes it does.
It removes the traffic.
Less traffic, less abuse.
Then use the handy dandy template modification tool and remove the tab. Remove it from nav bar too. I would prefer Mike and Kier not wasting their time adding an option for every single aspect of every single feature they make. It's ridiculous. They are not coding a platform specifically for your site or your needs. You have to take some of the customization and control in your own hands. Not every line of html needs an option/toggle switch.

This suggestion does nothing to make profile moderation easier or remove any of the challenges. This tab does not help with any of the "challenges".
I thought you are commenting about the screenshot in which I took all the space in the sidebar with duplicate status updates (the message above yours). I am sorry about that.

Color me confused here. If you want to disable user profile posting...wouldn't you just go to permissions of your "Registered" usergroup and do the following:
User Group Permissions  Registered   Admin CP   LiquidPro Community Forums.webp
Then they cannot do anything with profile posts.

So...what's the issue exactly? Even if the tab is there...it doesn't do anything exactly.

Top Bottom