XF 1.4 How to get rid of the [New Profile Posts] Tab on New Posts

Digital Doctor

With the addition of the New Profile Posts tab ...
upload_2014-8-6_8-15-47.webp
More users will will see Profile posts.
And Read them.
And post their own.

Some sites will like this.
Some will not.

You can see the effect happening here at Xenforo.com already.

As an admin, you might want to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab before it gets popular.

Anyone know how to remove the [New Profile Posts] tab ? And replace it with a [New Resources] tab ?

==================================

Update:
To Remove the [New Profile Posts] Tab.

Solution 1:
Code:
a[href="find-new/profile-posts"]{display:none!important;}
Just add that to your extra.css so that after you've disabled all permissions the tabs related to finding new profile posts go away. Most browsers support this excluding IE 6, but who gives a damn about that. [source]

Solution 2:
Add this to extra.css
Code:
.find_new_posts_none .tabs li:last-child , .find_new_posts .tabs li:last-child {display:none;}

Last edited:
If you don't want profile posts at all, you can remove them in permissions (like you've done with things like comments).

I now see what you mean, the tabs on the "new posts" page are gone as well. Thank you!

(now how about that tab on the user profile page :P)

It could be ideal for many sites that thrive on chit chat.
Not all sites are chit chat.
I think any way you can help foster good relations between members is a good thing and does indeed improve posting ratios.. I don't utilize one anymore but my old chat room rocked and many many life long friendships got their start in my chat room and in return these members where also more gabby and willing to share related stories and experiences with one another. I'm hoping the new exposure to profile posting will help foster these friendships and keep off topic dribble down a bit.. Again only time will tell if that's what happens or not.

My original question is:
How do I remove the [New Profile Posts] tab ?

Anyone ?

Edit the template, and don't act like nobody's said it.

I don't see what the problem is. You don't like it, disable the block, set permissions to disallow profile posts and comments. All sorted bar a tab which can be edited out in the template unless the devs add an option to do this.

Absolutely right. Let the forum admins decide what they want to do for their own boards. Anyone else can disable it with permissions or template edits or options or any combination of other features we have at their disposal.

It's stupid how everyone wants new features but only if they come with the option to quickly remove themselves.

@Digital Doctor just disable profile posts via user group permissions, the tab will disappear automatically.

And if this is true then you were told that a few times as well.

Easy switch off would be great!
Profile posts are legally relevant for site owners, since they may contain illegal content (illegal links, illegal image material, illegal sharing/sale requests, hostillity aso.) and can never be checked by moderators.

Please, one switch in admin control panel to forbid profile posts completely for anybody.

I never use it and will never allow it on my site (with a critical topic anyway). Illegal content may keep unrecognized for years and then suddenly be found, since its open and visible to most people, and start lawsuits for members and site owners.

Removing is possible, of course, but will be a ongoing thing to remember on every update.
A switch will allow to forget and be safe though...

Easy switch off would be great!
Profile posts are legally relevant for site owners, since they may contain illegal content (illegal links, illegal image material, illegal sharing/sale requests, hostillity aso.) and can never be checked by moderators.

Please, one switch in admin control panel to forbid profile posts completely for anybody.

I never use it and will never allow it on my site (with a critical topic anyway). Illegal content may keep unrecognized for years and then suddenly be found, since its open and visible to most people, and start lawsuits for members and site owners.
What a load of hyperbolic nonsense!
Making the profiles posts visible on the forum list is completely irrelevant as far as those arguments are concerned.

Removing is possible, of course, but will be a ongoing thing to remeber every update.
No it won't.
Template edits are not removed when upgrading.

If the mass of comments, images, profile posts aso. is impossible to overlook at certain times, even with lots of good moderators, then one knows what I mean. And then you are happy to have just the forums, and a gallery but no other content distributed on countless (its not countless, you are right) member profiles.

Never mind, I don't need the last word. Hope Chris' hint helps fully, since the...

...forums terms of service

do not protect against not-knowing, believing, ignoring and so on. We should stop it here, its off topic. But I've learned a lot what can happen in 15 years with a special topic.

I just want to remove the [New Profile posts] tab.
Not remove Profile posts entirely.
Just the tab.

Agreed. I said alot of sites will like Profile Posting fun.
Many sites won't.
So, you want your members to be able to make profile posts, you just don't want them to be able to see other people's profile posts easily?

Top Bottom