How to find which version of PHP a site is on

No, the one I'm thinking of is vBulletin4. I am an admin, but the site is owned by a company who do all the maintenance. Suddenly many issues have started a few days ago, but the "IT team" seems to have gone awol. There was no reconfiguration of anything, so what I suspect is they updated the PHP and this has caused all the issues with vB 4.2.3

I have admin access, except I cannot login to ACP because I have a new IP and have to verify, but guess what? One of the issues is no email notifications are getting sent.

Knowing the answer won't mean I can fix anything, just more out of curiosity.

If you have access via ftp, you can create PHP file and add this code in it:

PHP:
<?php
echo 'Current PHP version: ' . phpversion();
?>

Upload the file to the root folder of a site and point the browser to it.

Sadly I have no access to the server at all. I was hoping (rather optimistically) there might be a simple way without server access.

The other admins and users are tearing their hair out.

• No email notifications (for subscribed posts/threads and password reset etc.)
  • No "reply with quote"
  • Text paragraphing in posts not working
  • No bbcode editor.
  • Unable to upload image attachments
  • Images thumbnails not showing in lightbox.

All suddenly happen at once and the owners seem to have disappeared.

Last edited:
You could opt-in for a lucky shot and force a 404. If there's no content system behind that, it will display the server's error page (or something on that level). Most likely, they have a footer like
https://wikipedia.de/hi
nginx/1.6.2
which sometimes contains the PHP version used.
Another more optimistic shot could be headers. Sometimes the php version is included there aswell.
And most optimistic would probably be to just ask the site owner :) Other than that, the version is not publicly available.

You could opt-in for a lucky shot and force a 404. If there's no content system behind that, it will display the server's error page (or something on that level). Most likely, they have a footer like
https://wikipedia.de/hi

which sometimes contains the PHP version used.

It has the nginx/1.6.2 but nothing else.

Either wait for the owner to appear, or learn hacking I guess.

The only way you'd be able to tell is if it's passing a header stating the PHP version, generally this isn't publicly visible

If the owner disappeared and you don't have root access how would the version of php help you in this case?
Because you can't change it either.

If the owner disappeared and you don't have root access how would the version of php help you in this case?
Because you can't change it either.
As I said above, i’m aware of that. It’s mainly out of curiousity and also to be able to actually confirm and inform other admins and users of the suspected cause of all these issues suddenly happening at once.

Top Bottom