How to duplicate a live site to use as a test site

This is the part where I'm stumped:

• Edit the /library/config.php file in your new /test directory
I just need to change the database in the config file. Where/how do I do that? Do I re-install the config file to the "test" folder, or do I manually make changes in a text file and upload it?

You create the duplicate/test database first, then edit the config.php file with the details.

You can edit the file various ways - it depends how you are comfortable doing it.
The easiest way is to download it to your computer, edit it using something like Notepad++, then upload it again.

You create the duplicate/test database first, then edit the config.php file with the details.

You can edit the file various ways - it depends how you are comfortable doing it.
The easiest way is to download it to your computer, edit it using something like Notepad++, then upload it again.

Thanks Brogan, I'll do that.

Well, life is not so good today as I'm encountering some glitches since I had the test forum copied to a main forum.

New members can't confirm email registration on the new forum (works fine on the test forum).

This is the error message:

Not Found
The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'm not sure what to look for. There are a number of index.php files in the folder.

Well, life is not so good today as I'm encountering some glitches since I had the test forum copied to a main forum.

New members can't confirm email registration on the new forum (works fine on the test forum).

This is the error message:

Not Found
The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'm not sure what to look for. There are a number of index.php files in the folder.

Hmm... looks like all I had to do was add /forum to the URL in Basic Board Information to get the email confirmation to work.

A couple of things to note (that caught me out)

• I had to disable BD cache and remove the code it adds to config.php (not just change the prefix)
  • With emails disabled in config.php, you won't get the two step verification code

Thanks so much for the guide @Brogan — I'm preparing for a 1.4 > 1.5 upgrade and want to test thoroughly.

I was thinking of setting up a separate (sub)domain, like "test.mysite.com" and installing there.

Is it better to just create a "www.mysite.com/test/" directory? I want to be very careful not to impact my production site with this, so I thought creating a separate domain would isolate things better.

Suggestions? Thank you.

The step: make a "test" directory goes where?

Under public_html along with the others like library,data,install,styles?

So in your file manager it would look like this?

public_html
-data
-install
-library
-styles
-and so on
-test

Does this get left exactly like this or do you fill in between the ' ' ?

Code:
$config['enableMail'] = false;

$config['cookie'] = array(
'prefix' => 'test_',
'path' => '/',
'domain' => ''
);

It should load the index page automatically.
If it doesn't, append /index.php to the URL.

If it still doesn't work then the installation isn't working correctly.

Does this get left exactly like this or do you fill in between the ' ' ?

Code:
$config['enableMail'] = false;

$config['cookie'] = array(
'prefix' => 'test_',
'path' => '/',
'domain' => ''
);
I wondered this as well. I tried putting the test domain name in and got an error, so since then I leave it out. Seems to work.

Top Bottom