XF 1.4 How to download mysql data and transfer to new server

I am in the middle of moving from Plesk to Cpanel. How do i go about moving my xenforo forum?

I remember when my forum was small it was easy. I just copied everything from the root folder and downloaded the mysql data from the phpmyadmin

Now that my forum is larger the mysql file is larger possibily 1 GB or larger. I am unable to download the mysql file from the phpmyadmin. I've used a script called mysqldumper in the past. Does this work for big myql files too?

So what i plan to do is:

Copy everything from root folder and move it to the new server.

But how do i download the mysql data? and how to import it to the new server.

If you have SSH access, use mysqldump.

Rich (BB code):
mysqldump -udatabase_user -p --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables database_name > /path/to/backup/database_name_$(date +%d.%m.%y).sql

Then to zip it.
Rich (BB code):
tar -czf database_name_$(date +%d.%m.%y).tar.gz /path/to/backup/database_name_$(date +%d.%m.%y).sql

To import it you would use.
Rich (BB code):
mysql -udatabase_user -p  database_name <backup_file.sql

Wow that worked! It didn't slow down my forum.

This is the first time i made a backup in 6 years. I didn't think it was this easy. The total size was 2.8 GB I'm downloading it now and it says 25 minutes to download.

I have some more questions. Why do i need to "zip" it. When i import it. Does it have to be zipped?

Just to note, cPanel has built-in tools for transferring Plesk sites to cPanel. Your new host should be able to do it for you, and you most likely will not have to deal with any of this.

I was using cpanel when i was on shared hosting and moved to plesk when i moved over to vps.
I was going to switch hosting companies last year but other companies told me they didn't have plesk or would charge me to migrate from plesk to cpanel.
But my hosting company does it for free so i am changing to cpanel. Yes they will do it for me they said. I just wanted to see if i could do it myself. But it seems too time-consuming.

I have no idea where to find those tools. So i was transfering them slowly. Copying database and copying files. It's too complicated for me.

The reason i am changing to Cpanel is because i don't really like Plesk and my hosting company has been getting more and more negetive reviews.
So i am preparing just in case i have to quickly move hosting companies in the future. hehe

Top Bottom