How To Create a WordPress Theme: The Ultimate WordPress Theme Tutorial

Robert F Schmitz

This is a tutorial that I ran across on the web. I am working my way through it right now.

How To Create a WordPress Theme: The Ultimate WordPress Theme Tutorial

In only 11 individual lessons this WordPress Theme Tutorial is going to show you how to build a powerful, up-to-date, WordPress Theme from scratch. As we go along I’ll explain what’s happening including (for better or worse) my thinking on certain techniques and why I’m choosing one path over another. Essentially, I’ll be teaching you everything you need to know about WordPress Theme development.

After installing xampp and before continuing the tutorial, follow the guidelines below.

Note: Two things that this tutorial does not cover but should be done is to set a password for 'root' user in MySQL and changing the config file so that one can access phpMyAdmin. Once you set a password for 'root' you will not be able to access phpMyAdmin without making that change.

First: Set password for 'root' (based on xampp v1.7.3)

Code:
Type into your browser address bar the following: http://localhost/security/

It will tell you that MySQL admin has no password. Go ahead and assign a password. Write it down because you will need to change the config file for phpMyAdmin.

Restart MySQL in the xampp control panel.

Secondly: Tell phpMyAdmin that you set a password.

Code:
Navigate to c:\xampp\phpMyAdmin and find file config.inc.php

Open the file to edit and find:

Code:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ”; // MySQL password

change to

Code:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ‘your_password_here‘; // MySQL password

You are now set to continue with the tutorial.

Top Bottom