XF 1.3 How to attach a .pdf-file into a thread ?

erich37

I am wondering how to attach a .pdf-file into a Forum-thread ?

I do not see any button which says "attach" in order to put and position the file into the Editor.

It only shows a "Delete"-button next to the .pdf-file, but there is no other button which says "attach" or "Embed File".

:confused:

Using XF-version 1.3.1
FireFox 31.0

-----------------------

Last edited:
well, but how do I position the .pdf-File within the thread ?

Or better said:
how to attach the file to the thread-post ?

There is only a "Delete"-button, no "Insert File"-button.

hmmm....

major drawback if it is not possible to attach a .pdf-file to a thread.
Then the button "Upload a File" should probably be re-named towards "Upload an Image".

hmmm....

major drawback if it is not possible to attach a .pdf-file to a thread.
Then the button "Upload a File" should probably be re-named towards "Upload an Image".

Not so, 'upload a file' indicates just that, uploading a file. Inserting it (embedding it) into post content is a whole different matter though still quite related (as it is a second optional step to handle the upload if the upload is an image).

While xf doesn't allow you to insert and embed a pdf directly from an attachment into a thread there is nothing explicitly saying it isn't possible but this is something you would probably be best off using a custom bbcode to handle.

It is possible to attach a .pdf file to a thread, as has already been confirmed.

He said 'attach' but he literally means 'embed' a pdf and I am assuming he is talking about using the same 'upload->insert-image' flow to do it.

Hi Erich,

It wouldn't be practical to embed a PDF document into a post. PDF documents are designed to be view by clicking a .pdf link and having the browser or stand alone program bring up the file to display it.

If you look at the bottom of this post, you will see what it looks like when a PDF is attached to a thread.

I have to say, considering you have been using the software for so long, you're only becoming aware of this now? It's not only the way it has always worked in XenForo, but actually the same way it works in pretty much all forum software.

Attachments

well, I do not want to "embed" the pdf-file, I just would like to "attach" the pdf-file.

Exactly the same as @Chris D did in the post above.

I was just wondering if the file could be positioned in a certain position / location within the thread-post.

Thanks!

well, I do not want to "embed" the pdf-file, I just would like to "attach" the pdf-file.

Exactly the same as @Chris D did in the post above.

If you're not able to upload a PDF file you need to set this to allow for that:

Admin CP -> Options -> Attachments -> Allowed Attachment File Extensions

However that should already be one of the allowed file types.

If you're not able to upload a PDF file you need to set this to allow for that:

Admin CP -> Options -> Attachments -> Allowed Attachment File Extensions

However that should already be one of the allowed file types.

yeah, I know that. Thanks!

The issue I am having:
I would like to only allow "Admin" to be able to upload larger (e.g. 5 MB) .pdf-Files.
"Registered Users" should be limited to the default 1 MB File-size.

It seems it is not possible to define the "File size" via "User Group Permissions".
But this is a suggestion for another day......

:)

I'd like to add some things to this old thread and ask a question, now under XF 2.2.10 Patch 1.

As a relatively new admin, I wanted to put a 14.2 mb PDF containing pictures/text into a message. It seems the only way I can do that is with the Attach feature rather than the Insert features. Okay.

But the upload stopped because it said the file was too big. I went into ACP and found that the attachment size was set to 7000 kb. So, I increased the max attachment size to 15000 kb (can't use a comma), which is 15 mb. I tested the 14.2 mb PDF upload. It worked. But I immedetely deleted the message and PDF because I don't want my members to see it yet. And I don't want my members to be able to upload 15 mb attachments.

Question: If I set the attachment size to 15 mb just to upload my one PDF, post my message with the PDF in it, and then reduce the ACP attachment size back down to 7 mb, will my 14.2 mb PDF attachment still remain openable/downloadable on my host's server for future viewing?

I realize I could actually test this, but I really don't want the PDF visible to my members for even a minute, while I'm testing, before I'm ready to permanently post it.

Question: If I set the attachment size to 15 mb just to upload my one PDF, post my message with the PDF in it, and then reduce the ACP attachment size back down to 7 mb, will my 14.2 mb PDF attachment still remain openable/downloadable on my host's server for future viewing?
Yes.

The limits apply at upload time only.

Top Bottom